Twenty Five

Grace

- Fury texted and said he'll be here soon, so that's interesting. - Sharon says, and a second later she waves a hand in front of my face. - Sweetheart, are you with me?

- What? - I look around. - What's wrong?

We're lying down on the floor of the guest room she stays in whenever she visits us, feet thrown on the bed. James, Steve, and I have more permanent rooms in this same hallway.

- I should be asking you that. Why are you so distracted? Did something happen today?

No. It was a normal day. I trained with the girls. Steve and I had lunch with Shuri. James avoided me and I feel like a monster because I'm so relieved I didn't have to deal with him. I hate what happened yesterday. I wish it didn't happen. I even asked Shuri to show me a better place to hide if I needed to be alone.

- James kissed me yesterday.

- Really? That's nice. - She smirks for half a second before noticing my expression. - Or not.

- I tried to tell him that I don't feel the same way I did in the 40s, but he didn't listen. - I shut my eyes, as if when I open them the problem will be gone. - He said he loves me and I don't feel the same way. I said it, but James won't listen.

- Why don't you think there's a chance? - Sharon asks softly. - Maybe let him know the girl you are now.

If this was the only thing, that might be a good idea, but nothing is ever that simple with me.

- There's another problem. - I keep my voice down in case one of the guys walks by. - When we kissed, the whole time I was thinking about Tony.

- Wow. - Sharon widens her eyes. - That sounds complicated.

- Understatement of the century. - I stare at the ceiling, unable to hold eye contact. - Please, don't judge me. I can't deal with that right now.

- I'm your friend, I would never judge. - She caresses my arm. - But if you don't mind me asking, what happened between you two?

I should've told her from the beginning. Maybe that'd make this easier. If I told her about the panic attack kiss, Pepper's visit and what happened with Rhodey, maybe Sharon would've warned me before it got to this point. I wouldn't have gotten my heart broken like this.

- We slept together. - I skip the details and she immediately sits up. - Don't freak out. And don't tell anyone!

- I... - Sharon shakes her head in disbelief. - I won't, but holy shit. I wasn't expecting that. You've always looked so innocent.

- I wasn't exactly planning on it. - My eyes water. It was a good time. It was a lie. I loved him so much that night. I still do. - It just sort of happened.

- Wait a minute. - She looks down and I roll over, sitting in front of her on the carpet. - Was it your first time?

God, if my mom was alive she would be so angry with me. Having sex before being married? That wasn't an ok thing in my family. I might even be disowned.

- Yes. - It hurts to say it out loud. - I ran out in the morning when I realized it. I knew somehow. Tony came looking for me and I said I was scared he'd regret it because it was my first time. He wasn't affected at all. And he said he figured it out because there was blood on the sheets.

- But you think that was a lie?

- I never saw anything and he kind of stuttered. With my fast healing, it's hard to believe there was any blood. - Red flushed my cheeks. How did it not occur to me that my bleeding for this doesn't make any sense? - Right before...you know...Tony said I had no memories, so I needed to consider it was possible. I hadn't even thought about it.