Seven

Tony

After over 4 hours of cursing, getting my foot stepped on so many times I lose all sensibility on the little toe, and making adjustments, I get Rhodey standing on his leg suit. It's only halfway done and the design is kind of bulky, but it's functional at least.

- Look at that. You're doing great, pal. - I take a couple of steps backward as my friend holds onto the crutches like his life depends on it. - Let go, Rhodey. Trust me.

He flips me off before carefully dropping one of the crutches on the floor and extending his arm to maintain balance. The process is slow and borderline exhausting, but by the end of the night, Rhodey's able to take a few steps alone and is grinning from ear to ear.

- Oh, well. - He tears up a bit. - This is nice.

- It is.

It's a start, barely, but it's better than nothing.

We sit on the couch and I take the final notes after removing his legs from the metal structure. The next prototype will be smaller. Rhodey made progress today, so hopefully he'll be out of that wheelchair sometime soon.

- Thank you, Tony. - Rhodey puts a hand on my shoulder, making me turn to him. - For not giving up on me.

I want to say he didn't give up on me when I needed him, but I'm bad at this kind of conversation, so I don't say anything. I think he knows. I hope so.

During the drive back home, I keep thinking about Grace and how happy she'll be over this evolution. This has turned into a habit for me. No matter what I'm seeing or doing, I catch myself wondering what she would think, or I see something funny and wonder if she'd laugh. What are you doing to me, angel?

Grace is curled up in a pile of blankets on the couch when I walk in, reading Hamlet and drinking coffee even though it's past 10 p.m. Warmth spreads on my chest. It doesn't take more than the sight of her to do that.

- Hey. - She looks up and pats an empty space next to her. - How did it go? Is it working?

- A few steps. - I sit down and she throws her legs over mine.

It's incredible to see how much better Grace looks now compared to when she first got here. She looks a lot different, healthier, cleaner and she gained some pounds. She also started to feel more comfortable with me. Hugs, hand holding, stuff like that. I've never been fond of this type of physical contact, but with her I just like it.

- That's awesome. - Grace beams. The whole world lights up when she's happy. - I'm so happy for him.

- Yeah, me too.

- How did you even do that? - She rests her arm on the back of the couch and smiles, looking at me like I invented the computer. - I mean, I know how, I saw the process. But you made a paralyzed man walk. That's awesome.

- Well, I am a genius. - I shrug, feeling my cheeks burn. - A chaotic genius if you will.

- Considering the current state of your lab, I'll have to agree with the chaotic part.

- Rude. - I put a hand over my heart. - That hurts me.

- Okay, I'm sorry. - Grace looks down, grinning slightly.

- How about a movie?

- I'll make popcorn. - Without hesitation, Grace jumps up and runs to the kitchen.

She dances around while gathering the snacks and brings my favorite beer from the fridge even though I didn't ask. I could get used to this.