Ten

Grace

- Oh my God. - I sob a little, looking at the TV in front of me as the final credits roll in. - He went after Skylar.

- Yeah. He loves her. - Tony chuckles. It's obvious my reaction is amusing him. - And realized a life devoted to studies and formal education, instead of love, would be a sad existence.

- Damn it, Tony. - I close my eyes and some tears fall. - Why am I crying? It was beautiful, I loved it.

- It's one of my favorite movies. - He inches closer and wipes a tear off of my face with his thumb.

- Oh, poor Sean. He deserves that sabbatical. - I cry more so Tony pulls me into his arms.

His hug is really comfortable. The soft fabric of his MIT hoodie rasping on my cheek, his hand playing with my hair, how he smells like coffee even though it's nighttime.

Since "The Kiss" last week he got much more comfortable with hugs and such. We did that before, on some level, but only when we had motives. Now he wraps his arms around me for no reason and I love it.

- You're so cute. - Tony presses a kiss on the top of my head. The world is still and for a moment none of us moves. Even after I stop crying he doesn't break the hug.

Butterflies fill my stomach and I look up at him, our faces inches apart. He leans in and for a second I think he'll kiss me until the doorbell interrupts our moment. Tony curses under his breath and glares at the door, obviously not expecting anyone.

- I'll go upstairs. - I suggest, but he shakes his head.

- Just remember the story, ok? - He looks at me with a serious expression and I nod.

When I got here 3 months ago, we created a cover story in case someone dropped by. Tony and I met in college and I'm going through some shit, so I asked for help and he let me live here for a while. It's not that far from the truth.

I stay on the couch, reading the final chapters of Frankenstein and waiting. I hear talking near the door, but they're not close enough for me to listen properly. Eventually, the sound of heels clicking against the marble floor reaches me, so I drop the book.

- Look, I just need you to sign it. - A woman shouts away, obviously irritated, and enters the room with a stack of papers. She doesn't notice me at first, so I decide to say something.

- Hi.

The mystery woman turns around. I can tell she's a serious person, a white social shirt with a black skirt, blonde hair tied in a high ponytail, and red lipstick. Also, she seems angry.

- Who are you?

- I'm Grace. - I respond, trying to smile, but something about her puts me on edge instantly.

Her expression remains cold but her eyes have a mixture of confusion and poorly contained rage. Mystery Woman analyzes me for an uncomfortable amount of time like she somehow knows where Tony found me and is about to turn me to the authorities.

- Alright, Grace, can you go back to your house? Tony and I have a business to discuss. - She orders and I shift on the sofa. Awesome, Tony didn't tell her about me.

- Well... - I try to think of something to say but she interrupts me.

- Are you deaf? Go! - She snaps her fingers in front of my face and points at the door, her tone coated with annoyance.

Before I say anything else, Tony enters the room talking on the phone. He looks between us and his body language quickly changes.