Forty Three

Tony

As I walk into the meeting room, I'm greeted by the exhausted faces of my teammates. Since the digital trap failed we've been waiting, some more anxious than others, for Edward's next move. We also keep trying other leads, small teams go to interrogate people, but since Grace and Barnes spoke to agent Lynn we got nothing. No one knows anything. No one has seen anything. Edward is confident enough to put his face on camera because he knows we won't be able to find him. I have no idea how can someone not have any digital trail. People don't just exist in the internet age, they leave something behind. Except he doesn't.

- I think Edward just emailed me. - Steve looks at his phone with a massive frown. I swear the temperature of the room drops.

- Let me see. - I reach my hand and he gives me the device without questioning. I don't know what Grace did or said when they went to the mall, but Rogers extended an olive branch. Or maybe it's more accurate to say he accepted mine. - Yeah, this doesn't look good.

It doesn't take long to connect Steve's phone to the main screen in the meeting room and that average looking face we learned to hate so much takes over, smiling from ear to ear. Same baggy clothes, a neutral scenario, and psychotic eyes. At every passing video, Edward seems to be getting less sleep. I know the symptoms.

- Hello, Avengers. - His voice is more aggressive than when he speaks to the public. - I still haven't got what I want so I must continue my exposing journey. I'm feeling generous today so I'll give you all a gift.

- This can't be good. - Bruce mumbles, taking a seat between me and Rhodey.

- Do you remember Phillip Coulson? - Edward asks mockingly, a brown file with the SHIELD logo in his hand. I can't tell if it's real or just some fucked up stage prop. - Fury used his death to motivate the Avengers to work as a team. It was a beautiful moment.

Several photos of Phil start flashing on the screen. Most of them are official pictures, the kind you use on a passport, but there are a few with friends and other agents.

- He died and it was sad. - Edward smiles wickedly. - Right?

- What is he talking about? - Rogers is on edge and I can't believe what my ears are telling me. He can't be implying what I think he's implying. Can he? No, it's impossible. - I don't like this.

- He's bluffing. - Natasha says, not sounding as confident as she normally would. - He has to be.

- Right, he did die. - The man on the screen chuckles, but it's empty like a robot trying to be human. He's like Mark Zuckerberg if the founder of Facebook was 10% more unhinged and smoked crack for breakfast. - But on Fury's orders, Coulson was taken to a secret facility where he was brought back to life.

- That's not possible. - Clint clenches his fist, but the videos quickly confirm what Edward just said.

There are hundreds of clips showing Coulson meeting with Fury, Hill and other agents. We know they're new because Maria got a haircut and on some of them we see the injuries Fury sustained in the Hellicarrier Attack. Which means Coulson was alive after that day.

- Why should the people trust you all? SHIELD doesn't. - The coldness in Edward's voice sends a chill through my spine. - Food for thought. I must go, but I'll talk to you soon.

The video ends and we stare at each other in silence for a moment before Barton starts shouting into the phone. I can't blame him, he was mind controlled to be part of the attack that killed Coulson and everyone knows he feels guilty. I don't wanna be the person responsible for informing Thor, aside from Romanoff and Barton he knew Coulson better.

- I'm not sure I understand what is happening. - Sam is a little lost. - He's alive, isn't that a good thing?

- Fury lied to them about Coulson and it was what brought the Avengers together. - Rhodey explains. - They needed someone to avenge and now it turns out he was never dead.

- Why are we surprised Fury lied? - Bruce crosses his arms and it's easy to see he's upset. - It's his default mode.

Outside the room we can hear Barton cursing at his phone, calling Fury everything from 'liar' to 'manipulative monster'.

- Let's call it a night. - Barnes suggests, shutting down the files he was reading before the video came through. - It's past 10 pm anyway, we won't get anything done.

The exhaustion mixed with anger and confusion from everyone involved in that helicarrier attack makes it so that the room is empty in minutes. I sit on the edge of my bed, remembering the moment Fury told us Coulson was gone. The Captain America baseball cards were covered in blood, it was very dramatic. We spent a lot of that day arguing instead of doing something to stop Loki and Coulson took the hit for it. Or so we thought. I wonder if the cellist knows what really happened. Did they even tell her Phil was dead?

- I don't wanna hear your fucking excuses! - I hear Barton shouting across the door. - What the hell is wrong with you?

I wait for him to be gone and text Grace asking her to come over. The sight of Edward and this new piece of information was too much for me. About 5 minutes later she enters, locks the door behind her and sits next to me.

- How can I help? - She asks shyly, a soft smile on her lips.

- Stay. - I plea, knowing Rogers and Barnes might look for her and it's dangerous. - Please.

Grace nods, she's aware of the risk we're taking but decides to take it regardless. I fish out an old shirt for her and she changes out of the skinny jeans and yellow blouse. We lay down and I pull her to my chest. Her fingers graze my arm and I feel my worries melt away.

- You're comfy. - Grace says. - I like to sleep on you.

- Me too. - I caress her cheek. - Holding you like this is my second favorite thing we do together.

- Really? - One of her brows arches and she rolls her body over, laying on top of me with her face inches away. - What is the first?

- You know the answer to that.

Her cheeks turn the slightest shade of pink. It's adorable.

- I was kinda self conscious about it the other day. - She admits and I frown. - Because I've never been with anyone else so I worry it might get boring for you.

- Never. - I assure her, kissing her forehead. - Things with you are a lot more than sex.

- Cute. - She giggles. - But I'm serious.

- What do wanna do?

- I don't know. - She looks down. - I was wondering if we could try some... different things.

Holy.

Shit.

- If that's what you want. - I force myself to hold down my dirty fantasies. - But only then. Things can stay the same for me. I love us the way we are.

- I love us too. - Grace nods firmly. - But I think we can love us even more.

- I'll figure something out. - I promise. - Something fun.

She leans over, smiling as we kiss, which just makes the bulge in my pants get harder. Unlike most times we take it slowly, savoring every part of each other and loving every moment of it. My girlfriend. My angel. My home.