14 | RAVENOUS SOULS LIKE SATURN

Yesterday afternoon; right after Edrei walked outside in a fresh pair of clothes and wet hair that stained the back of the tank she wore over her sports bra, leaving grey marks on its white surface. The top slightly covered her belt, the one that hung to the side due to the pistol she was handed earlier being attached to it. It didn't do much. The jeans were borrowed from Rosita, and the only way she could properly keep them from falling down to the bottom of her waist was by threading a shoelace she found laying in the closet through the two loops on the back; making a messy bow.

Her boots made a silent crackling noise against the pavement as she made her way to the wall, where the people on watch began calling out to the others. She ran to the gate and pulled the netting to the side, allowing everyone to see a figure running towards the gates of Alexandria. It was still unclear who they were running from, but after further examination, she could see the familiar face of Rick. He seemed to be in distress, as now the wobbly dead people behind him began stumbling through the woods which surrounded the community, allowing themselves to follow him. At first it was a few rouge ones, but not a moment later, a large horde of walkers seeped through the street. They began inching closer to a tired Rick, who tried to keep his pace despite probably having run for hours.

"Open the gate!" His hoarse and shaky voice called out to Edrei, who had her hands on the lock prepared to slide it right open. "The gate, now!"

Her shaky fingers fiddled with the tight lock, looking up every now and then to see if Rick was still going. He was. When she finally unwound the rope that held the rusty old lock in place, her fingers grasped the bars of the gate; pulling it to the side just in time for Rick to run straight through. He sloppily spun on his heel, his bag strapped around his shoulder and the gun around the other. What she didn't notice was Michonne, who made her way back to Alexandria from their trip outside, and Maggie helping her push it back to a close in time for the walkers that came from either side of the street to stay out.

Her breath got caught in her throat as she found it hard to control it with the hands and jaws of rouge walkers stretching their arms out towards the people standing behind the gate. It didn't take long for her to notice the horde of dead people was not cutting off, leaving hundreds of them still piling up by the walls and banging over their own loud groans. To her, it appeared that the community would not be getting any rest anytime soon, and all they could do was hope for Daryl, Abraham, or Sasha to drive them away, but until then, all they could do was hope the walls didn't give in.

"Carl?" Edrei's voice, laced with concern, caught his attention.

He slowly turned around, continuing to walk backwards as his curious eyes stared into hers. It really was rare for her to randomly catch him in the street and start a conversation, but instead of being confused, or rather intrigued, by the sudden change in her approach, his excitement got the best of him, and all he focused on was her stance. The small and wobbly steps in her walk and the way she fiddled with the jewellery on her skinny fingers made him push all the hopes of them having one of their old "best friend" conversations.

He mumbled a "mhmm" before turning back around and allowing himself to walk next to her at the same slow pace as before. He wasn't sure where they were heading at the moment, he wasn't even sure what there was to do, and roaming the streets of Alexandria (which everyone seemed to be relegated to after recent events) never seemed like an opportunity he'd want to miss.

"I don't-I don't know how, but I-uh. I want to look for Enid." She finally uttered after a deep sigh, and shakily spoke as a suppressed breath held her body stiff.

Something she didn't give a lot of thought to in the last two days was the fact that Enid was completely missing. She was unaware of this the day Alexandria got attacked, but in the morning, while watching Tara attempt to make herself a decent sandwich, she realised that the last time she saw Enid was when she walked out of the kitchen during the attack. It fussed her mind for a short amount of time, but Ron, who noticed her noticeably looking for something around the houses and streets, told her about a note she left for Carl. "Just survive somehow" were the exact words written on a large piece of paper with a black marker and left at the front door.