11 | CRADLE THE DEAD

Edrei laid still in bed, her eyes still glued to the ceiling above

Edrei laid still in bed, her eyes still glued to the ceiling above. She hadn't slept at all, despite her eyelids getting heavier by every minute that passed. She let out another shaky sigh, and her eyes fell directly on the bright orb that slowly started to rise behind Alexandria's buildings. Her eyes squinted when a shiny ray of light beamed through her window, aiming directly for her face.

"Edrei!" The familiar voice of the one and only Rosita Espinosa called out from the other side of her bedroom door.

"Yea?" She responded, using the same tone that she did.

"Daryl's waiting for you outside, he wanted me to tell you to 'drag your lazy ass outside'". She clarified just before opening her bedroom door to get her out of bed. "Why are you still in your old clothes?" She asked, her eyebrows furrowed.

"Old?" She rose a brow, ignoring the woman's question.

Hearing someone say "old clothes" sounded weird, even crazy. Edrei was used to wearing very worn out clothes, since she never really had time to actually look for new ones in stores. Especially since malls and any other stores were swarmed with walkers, or they were just completely wiped out by any other survivors. She also spent about three months without any shoes because they couldn't fit anymore, and despite her effort to find one, she couldn't find any stores that carried shoes. It held her back a lot, and made walking through the woods harder, since she struggled to run from walkers and people barefoot.

"Yeah, these people wash their clothes every goddamn day." She hissed and pinched Edrei's leg to get her up.

"Ow." She huffed, even though the pinch didn't hurt.

"Por el amor de Dios." Rosita mumbled as she was about to walk back through the door.

Edrei rolled off the bed, falling down on the wooden floor and making a "thump" sound. She pulled herself up by grabbing onto the bed and pulled her dress off. She took the same jeans she wore yesterday off the floor and put a grey t-shirt over her sports bra, tucking it in her pants. She glanced down at the flannel, there was still blood on it, which wasn't a surprise since she didn't give it to Jessie to maybe wash it since their house didn't have a washing machine.

She picked it up and started walking downstairs to find her shoes that she left by the door. Daryl was sitting on the kitchen counter, a plate with scrambled eggs and in his hand. He looked up and quickly slurped up the rest of the eggs on his plate.

"Hey." Edrei smiled and waved, and Daryl nodded in response.

He set the plate back down on the counter, and stood up. Edrei leaned her back against the nearby wall and started putting her shoes on, harshly pulling at the laces since it always annoyed her how converse took quite a long of time to put on.

"What brings you here?" She spoke up, hoping he was going to teach how to ride a motorcycle, just like he promised about three days ago.

"Imma tach ya how to drive." He replied with an obviously face.