Chapter Six

October 1568

"Why?" Lord de Guise, the current head of the Council, asked. "Why would you go to England? Especially now that you are no longer Queen and King?"

"Do you or do you not want peace between our countries?" Sybille asked the Lord.

"I do."

"Then this is necessary."

"I agree with my mother." Frank told the council. "If she and my father believe that this is the right step to take, then I believe they should go through with it. They and the Duchess of Angouleme will travel to England and represent France."

------

The Dowager King and Queen as well as the Duchess of Angouleme said goodbye to their families and sailed for England.

------

November 1568

Sybille took a deep breath before they were led in to meet with Elizabeth, Queen of England.

"Are you ready, My Love?" Duke asked as she took his arm.

"It is just that..." She turned to him and whispered. "I have admired her all my life. It is nerve racking to meet someone you have been so enamoured with."

"I understand. We will go in when you are ready."

Sybille took another deep breath. "I am ready."

Duke nodded to the footman, and he opened the door for them. They entered to find Her Majesty sitting at the long table. She smiled, not unkindly, when they entered. Tess curtsied to her. As Dowager King and Queen, Sybille and Duke weren't expected to.

"Welcome to England." Elizabeth motioned for them to sit. "Please."

Duke pulled out a chair for each of the ladies, then sat himself before responding. "Thank you for allowing us to visit."

"Your letter stated you wished to speak about the future relations of France and Scotland with England. Is this true?"

"Yes." Sybille answered. "We want to end the animosity between our three countries."

"We know that you have a...complicated relationship with Mary, Queen of Scots." Tess added.

"She is after my throne." Elizabeth informed them forcefully, if a little loud. "That is more than complicated."

"How would you like to have an heir and stop the problems between you two?" Sybille asked.

"I would. How would that happen?"

"By naming her your heir."

Elizabeth scoffed. "Absolutely not. I would rather die."

"If you do this, she will no longer come after you." Sybille explained. "Would that not be beneficial to you?"

Elizabeth considered her proposal. "I suppose. What, pray tell, do this do for France?"

Duke spoke up. "We also want to negotiate peace between France and England along with peace between England and Scotland."

The Queen sighed. "Very well. I will name Mary my heir on the condition she stops trying to take my throne. The Kingdom of England will pass to House Stewart after my death."

"And what of France?"

Elizabeth thought it over. "We will have peace between our countries as well."

------

"Your Grace." A footman came to stand near Mary, Queen of Scots, and passed her a letter. "From Her Majesty The Dowager Queen of France."

Mary thanked him and opened the letter.