Chapter Three

"Where are we going?" Sybille asked with a smile on her face as Duke led her through the Chateau.

"I told you! It is a surprise!" Finally, they stopped at a doorway where he took out a key. "This is for you." He unlocked and opened the door to reveal a room with cauldrons and bookshelves filled with her books on spells and potions. Sybille walked in feeling in awe of the gift. "Elizabeth helped me set it up. It is a laboratory, just for you."

Sybille ran her hand along the spines of the books before turning back to her husband, and running into his arms. "You have made me so happy this day."

He placed the key in her hand. "You have the only key. None will disturb you but family while you are in here. I swear it."

She kissed her husband on the cheek. "Thank you, Duke. I will cherish it always."

------

Over the course of the next few weeks, their changes were implemented throughout the Kingdom of France. Less deaths occurred, and Sybille and Tess felt thankful they could do something to help stop the spread of the Plague.

------

August 1549

The new Regent of France, Sybille, stood with Tess and Catherine as they watched their husbands ride off to battle.

------

Sybille sat at Duke's desk going through papers with Tess's help when Lord Lévis came running in. He held a letter in his hands.

"Your Majesty!" When he noticed Tess there, he bowed to them both and corrected himself. "And Your Grace. I have news of the Battle of Donapleau. His Majesty has been victorious!"

Sybille and Tess jumped, up and hugged each other. "This is wonderful news. When does he return?"

"They are on their way as we speak."

------

March 1550

Sybille stood waiting with her children and the court for Duke to return. He jumped from his horse and raced to his family. Duke hugged his son and Bette before taking Lisette in his arms and kissing Sybille.

"My Loves. I have missed you so very much." He whispered in Sybille's ear. "But I need to be with my wife at this moment."

Sybille blushed at the implication. Duke set down Lisette and asked Nanny to take the kids. Sybille and Duke ignored his brothers and their wives, and left for their room.

When they arrived, Duke began kissing his wife deeply. They reached the bed, and he turned her around to face away from him while undoing her dress. He pulled it off her shoulders and let it fall to the ground.

"I have missed your touch." Sybille told him.

"And I yours." He then went for her half bodice, her own version of a bra for the Renaissance times, untying the strings and pulling it off. With only her underdress on he turned her back around. For the rest of the day, they made love.

------

"Revela mihi mysteria sanguinis mei." Sybille said the spell over a cup of her blood. It immediately started on fire.

------

"I wish you could stay." Sybille told Duke after he had hugged his children goodbye.

"I as well. But we must do this." Duke kissed his wife. "When I return, we will have another child."

Sybille rubbed her belly as Duke mounted his horse and led the army off to Navarre.

------

24 December 1550