Chapter Ten

Knowing that he had yet to have a son, and that Eddie had so far only had a daughter, Frank set forth to make positive changes for the women of France. Namely, the French Royals and nobles.

"I want to propose a change to our inheritance laws." He said as he addressed the council. His parents and wife were present, along with William as a member of his council. "As it stands, I have yet to have a son. Not only that, but of my brothers so far only one has had a child, and that child is female. I want to give both my niece and my daughter titles by birth."

"What exactly do you mean?" William asked, not opposed. "What are you proposing?"

"I want to make our noble and Royal inheritance laws male-primogeniture. For the daughters to be able to inherit their father's titles in the event there are no sons." Frank explained. "If we make this change, less families will lose their titles, and we have a better chance of keeping the throne in the Valois family."

"Preposterous! Why would we allow a woman to rule in her own right? It is against God." The Duke of Uzes protested.

"You know my story and have accepted me, yet you could not accept a female Regnant?" Sybille scoffed. "What absurdity."

Discussions broke out amongst the many counsellors. They talked loudly, one over the other, and some even stood. Frank tried to make his voice known but none would let him speak. Duke and Sybille listened quietly while Josephine sat silently waiting for the kerfuffle to end.

Finally, William stood, and raised his hand for silence. All who had stood took their seats, and the room became quiet. "So far, what I am hearing from this discussion, is that there is only heavy opposition to the proposal of changing Royal inheritance law, but not the noble inheritance laws. Is that so?"

Uzes looked around as many nodded to him in confirmation. "It seems so."

"Then may I propose a compromise?" William turned to Frank. "Your Majesty, would it be possible to allow the noble inheritance laws to change but to allow the Royal inheritance law to remain?"

Frank considered it. If I say no, then both Mirabelle and Juliette lose. But if I say yes, I can at least win something for Juliette. But what of Mirabelle? What legacy will she have? Will she be subjected to the harsh laws of a married woman? Perhaps I can do nothing for my own daughter, but I can do something for another, and if I can do something for someone to make their life better I should. "Very well. I will agree not to push the Royal inheritance law change in favour of the noble inheritance laws."

"What say you, Lord Uzes?"

The Duke considered everything for a moment before standing. "The council will agree to these terms on one condition."

"Which is?"

"The King must sign a document stating that neither he nor the next Kings of France may bring forth a proposal to change the Royal inheritance law for...one hundred years." Uzes stated. "If he agrees, the council will change the noble inheritance laws."

William looked to Frank. "What say you, Your Majesty?"

What do I do? Frank turned to his mother.

Sybille took a moment to consider it before answering. "I firmly believe that this change would benefit France, both on the Royal and noble levels. However, I also believe that no man, on any council, will agree to change the Royal inheritance law for at least two hundred years. So, with that said, I believe you should agree, My Son."

Frank sighed in resignation. His mother was right, it was the best outcome they could hope for; for now. "Very well, I will sign whatever you wish as long as you change the noble inheritance laws for good."

Uzes stretched out his hand to the King. "We have an accord."

------

1578

In the next six years, Sybille and Duke were blessed with many grandchildren. Josephine had birthed two sons, Gerard and Philippe. She and Frank followed their tradition of giving their children their own names. Bette had given birth to a son and two daughters. In birth order: her two daughters, Claude (named for her sister) and Sybille, followed by her second son, Pierre. She was now pregnant again, and her mother was sure it was to be a girl. Michel and Marie were only to have two children, Matthieu and Marguerite. It warmed Sybille's heart that her children had named two of their daughters after her.

The noble inheritance laws changes had angered many people, mostly the cousins who had been set to inherit from the original title holders. For a while the Royal family had feared a revolt, but none came. Despite the laws changes, Frank and Josephine were still in high favour of the people.

During those six years, Sybille and Tess helped Frank and Josephine boost the national education system. Now all children between the ages of five and ten were required to get a basic education. There would soon be no illiteracy in France, which Sybille had long hoped for. They had settled on those ages because the students were too young yet to help their parents, and it gave the mothers a slight reprieve. The family was well on their way to building the best France that it could be.

------

25 December 1578

Christmas that year brought with it tragedy. The ballroom looked divine as Marie and Michel left for a short walk; they both liked the cool night air.

As they made their way past the guards and into the gardens, Marie took her husband's arm. "Christmas really is my favourite time of the year. From the celebrations to the weather, it is all wonderful."

Michel kissed her cheek. "I know; it is very special to you."

Just as they were out of the guards line of sight, someone came stalking up behind him. They pulled out a blade, grabbed Michel, pulled him away from Marie, and stabbed Michel straight through his chest bone into his heart.

Marie screamed at the top of her lungs. "Guards! Help! Guards! The Duke of Navarre is hurt!"

Before the guards could trudge over, the assailant turned to Marie. "This was a gift from the Catholic Church. Merry Christmas." He broke out into a run straight for the woods.

When the guards got there, Marie was on her knees in the snow as the blood ran from Michel's body onto her cloak. The guards tore after the man. "Michel, My Love. Speak to me." He reached out a hand and cupped her face, smiling to her. Suddenly, he went limp, and his hand fell. "No! No!" She threw herself on his body.

Unaware how long she had been there, Marie only moved when Tess, Sybille, Josephine, Frank, and Duke came running up to them. Sybille fell to her knees beside Marie. "No!" She cried out. "My Son, My Baby Boy!"

Marie lifted her head. "Do something, give him a potion, anything! Make him live again!"

Sybille wiped the tears from the young girl's face. "I do not have the power to do that. I can do a great many things, but I cannot bring back the...dead." She'd chocked on the last word.

Duke fell to his knees beside his wife, and held her as she cried. Marie threw herself back on Michel's body.

"Who did this?" Frank asked Marie as he bent down to be on her level. "Who would do such a horrible thing to my little brother?"

Through gulps of air, Marie answered. "The man said it was a gift from the Catholic Church."

Sybille took a sharp breath. "This is my fault."

"Why would you say that?" Josephine asked.

"Our fault." Tess corrected her friend. "It is our fault. We were the ones who pulled the Crown from the Church. Of course, they would eventually enact revenge. And they chose to hurt you in the worst way possible."

Just then, the guards came running back. "We lost him at the lake, Your Majesty."

Frank stood to give instructions. "Take half the guards and all the hounds; find him. You two." He pointed at the strongest of the guards that were present. "Carry my brother inside."

It took some work, but Frank finally pulled Marie off Michel's body, and into the warmth of the Chateau.