Chapter One

25 July 1547

Dressed in a gown symbolic of the flag of France with its royal blue colour and golden Fleur de Lis pattern, Sybille walked hand in hand with Duke down the aisle of Notre-Dame, never so nervous in her life. Her auburn hair was tied back in a braided bun as she looked towards the thrones of France. Nobles from all over the known world were in attendance; some as envoys from other nations. Tess stood beside Charles and the Duke and the Duchess of Orleans at the head of the church.

When Sybille and Duke reached the alter and the Cardinal who had been sent from Vatican, they both knelt. The Cardinal opened the ceremony. "Welcome one and all before God. Here before us kneel the intended royal couple who have come before their people and their Lord to vow their protection and rule over the land." He motioned to Duke and Sybille. "Francois de Valois-Angouleme, are you here willingly to make your vow?"

"I am." Duke answered.

Next the Cardinal spoke to Sybille. "Margaret, Dauphine of France, are you here willingly to make your vow?"

"I am."

"Francois de Valois-Angouleme, do you vow to honour, rule, protect, and guide the people of France and its territories?"

"I vow this."

"Margaret, Dauphine de France, do you vow to honour, rule, protect, and guide the people of France and its territories?"

Sybille answered. "I vow this."

An altar boy passed the cup of oil to the Cardinal who dipped his finger in it before bringing it to Duke's forehead and creating a symbol of a cross as he spoke. "I anoint thee God's chosen to rule all of France and its territories." Next, he did the same to Sybille and again said. "I anoint thee God's chosen to rule all of France and its territories."

Having passed back the oil, the Cardinal stepped aside, and Sybille and Duke took their seats on the thrones. Taking the staff and orb from their pillows, he passed them each to Duke. Then he took the Queen's staff and placed it in Sybille's hand. Next came the crowns.

The Cardinal placed the King's crown on Duke. "I dub thee Monarch of France." He then came over to place the Queen's crown on Sybille's head. "I dub thee Consort of France." The Cardinal stepped back and announced. "May I introduce before God, Francis the Second and Margaret, King and Queen of France!"

Sybille looked to Tess and her other subjects with a smile on her face making another solemn vow. I will do right by this Kingdom and future of France.

------

their guests awaited the entrance of Duke and Sybille. He could sense that something was wrong with his wife. Duke motioned for the guards to move back, then he took Sybille's hand. "What is wrong, My Love?"

Sybille sighed. "I do not feel as though I am worthy of being a Queen." Duke smiled at her. "Is there something funny about the way I feel?"

"Yes." He admitted. "For there is no one I would ever believe to be more worthy of the title." He placed a hand on her cheek, and she kissed it. "You are a kind and generous person, and you will do right by the people of France."

Sybille smiled back at him. "You are the kind one. You always make me feel better."

"It is my job as your husband." He told her. Duke took his place again and asked her. "Are you ready now?"

Sybille nodded her head. Duke motioned for the guards to open the doors and together, hand in hand, they entered the ballroom.

The announcer yelled out. "Their Majesties, The King and Queen of France!"