Season Three Episode Thirteen

Anneli's head hurt

Anneli's head hurt. It throbbed and ached and hurt. She clapped her hands over her eyes.

Some sort of bird chirped loudly annoyingly cheerfully. Anneli hoped it would stop soon, but it didn't and only made her head hurt more. In a rage, Anneli shot to her feet, ready to throw her shoe at it.

At her sudden movement, whatever that creature was scuttled away. And jumping up only made her head spin more.

"Good riddance," Anneli mumbled. Her head still aching, she pulled out her bun. Maybe she had tied it too tight.

Squinting, Anneli saw that she was outside. That was strange. Her room wasn't normally covered in gold grasses, and it never had screeching animals. At least her room on the Paradox didn't; her room at her parents' house hosted her very screechy loth-cat, Sandwich.

But Anneli was getting distracted. Anneli looked around. Conlan was laying on his back next to her. Immediately, she checked his pulse and found him breathing and he didn't seem to have broken anything.

Pieces of metal, a few on fire, littered the ground around her. Smoke snaked through the air.

Oh, that's right. She crashed that little shuttle ship thing.

She... had crashed the ship. Anneli shrieked. The loud noise pierced through her skull, so she resigned to muttering and mumbling curses.

Though it seemed her skull wasn't the only one pierced by her unholy screeching. With a scream just as loud and alarmed as hers, Conlan leapt to his feet, brandishing a blaster. He took a few seconds to analyze the situation, see no threat, and look at Anneli. "What's wrong?"

"My mother is going to kill me!" Anneli yelled, gesturing to all the things on fire around her.

Conlan lowered his blaster. "What?"

Wringing her hands, Anneli breathed deeply. "She told me I could join the Navy if I agreed to never crash a ship."

Anneli could see his confusion even from the other side of his helmet.

"She's not... going to hold you to that."

Anneli laughed. "She absolutely is. She's mad I didn't join the Marines like her." Although she wouldn't admit it, Anneli did not want to have her mom be her commanding officer at training camp.

"Well, you don't have to tell her. I'll certainly be skimping on the details when I see Cinnamon next," Conlan replied.

"Duly noted," Anneli said.

Conlan's helmet tilted towards the sky. "It looks like it will be getting dark soon. Let's see if there is anything still useful here."

Avoiding the on-fire pieces, Conlan began picking through the pieces of the wreckage.

Anneli searched for a first aid kit, or a tent, or something. But there was nothing. The shuttle had been the skeleton of a once-useful thing when she had flown it out of the hangar. Now it was only ashes.