(New) Chapter 19: Bad Omens

Start from the beginning

Ozpin nodded quietly as he rounded his desk and sat down before he began to refill his mug, this time making his signature coffee.

"I can certainly appreciate quality time between friends," Ozpin spoke as he sipped at his coffee, "however, a small fleet outside my window has me concerned."

"Well," Ironwood glanced out the window, to (Y/N) and then back to Ozpin, "concerned is what brought them here."

"I understand that travel between kingdoms has become increasingly difficult."

"Oz, you and I both know why I brought these men..."

The Headmaster sipped at his drink then set his mug down on the desk.

"We are in a time of peace," Ozpin said, speaking in his usual calm and clear tone, "shows of power like these are just going to give the wrong impression."

Ironwood sighs, then looks over to (Y/N) once more and back to Ozpin.

"He knows," Ozpin explained, "let's get back to the matter at hand and then we'll talk about him."

The general, still skeptical about (Y/N), who had been standing at ease for the time being, turned back to Ozpin.

"But if what Qrow said is true..." the general drifted off, setting his mug down on the desk.

"If what Qrow said is true, then we will handle it tactfully," Ozpin retorted as he raised a finger to emphasize his point, "it's the Vytal Festival. A time to celebrate time and peace, so I suggest not scaring people by transporting hundreds of soldiers across the continent..."

"I'm just being cautious..."

"As am I. Which is why we will continue to train the best Huntsmen and Huntresses we can."

"Believe me, I am."

The general sighed and began walking to the door before he stopped and turned to face Ozpin once more.

"But, ask yourself this; do you honestly believe that your children can win a war?"

Ironwood turned to leave once more, however he caught (Y/N) in the corner of his eye. The general debated with himself for a moment, then decided to finally address the person he assumed was a student.

"Young man," Ironwood began, prompting (Y/N) to snap to attention, a move that surprised the general. What surprised him even more was the fluidity and how crisp the movements were.

"Ah yes, Mister (L/N)," Ozpin noted as he stood up from his desk and approached the two.

"(L/N)?" Ironwood asked, looking at Ozpin curiously, "this the boy you told me about?"

"Yes, James. Him. Although, he is much more than a 'boy'... I shall let Mister (L/N) explain."

Ironwood raised an eyebrow at the closing statement before turning to face (Y/N).

"Report!" Ironwood spoke firmly and out of military habit before realizing he was speaking to a student. Though, before he could speak again to clear the confusion that (Y/N) might have had, it was he who would be confused.

"Lieutenant (L/N)," the young man reported, also responding to the general out of habit, "November four one three three five one zero five. Special Operations Commander of Strike Team Theta, awaiting further instruction, sir!"

(Y/N), having realized his mistake internally cringed, however, he continued to stand at attention and wait until the general addressed him properly since he was already dedicated to the role.