Day 20 - It's Been a Long Day (Smoker x Reader)

A knock on the door alerted you that you had a visitor, yet you remain lying on your bed. Dread sits on you, facing the outside world would only make you feel hollower. You were tired of the pity, the sympathy-

"[Y/n]..." Smoker stood in front of where you faced. You glance at him as if asking how he got in. "The door was unlocked. Not safe but at least it saves me the trouble of using my logia powers."

You hummed in response, dropping your gaze onto the pillow in your arms. Smoker sighed as you squeezed the pillow tighter. He left your sight but you could hear his footsteps enter the kitchen area.

"Have you eaten anything?" Smoker inquired, only getting another hum in response. "I'll take that as no."

You could hear cupboards open and close, metal pots or pans being placed on the stove, and the swing of the pantry door. Oddly enough, the noise comforted you. You briefly smile yet you stayed curled up in your bed, the illusion would disappear if you faced reality.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Why are you making extra, bro?" you ask as you took a seat in front of the counter.

"A buddy of mine from work is coming over tonight," he informed you, finishing up with the vegetables. "He's a little intimidating at first but I think you'll like him."

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

"Here." 

You heard a dish being set on the dresser. Lifting your head up, you saw a bowl of stew and Smoker sitting down in a nearby chair. He faced you, elbows resting on his knees, and being considerate to only smoke one cigar instead of two. Yeah, you remember your brother telling Smoker to cut back when he visited.

"Eat," Smoker ordered.

You sat up, letting your legs dangle over the edge of the bed. Taking the dish, you shovelled the stew into your mouth. Your body thanked you for eating something but your mind only told you how bland it was compared to your brother's cooking.

"I know I'm not as good as your brother..." Smoker said. You paused and stared down at your food with a frown. He sighed, letting a puff of smoke out. "But I figured it's better than nothing."

"...I miss him, Smoker," you finally croaked.

"I know, I miss him too," Smoker empathized as he blew more smoke. "He was a man I could trust, not many earn that from me."

"It's quiet without him..." you told Smoker as you stirred your stew. "Too quiet. Days are longer, I just want them to be over... I want them to be all over..."

"You wanna know a secret, [Y/n]?"

"Hm?" You look up at him.

"Some days I feel like that too. I wake up and there's nothing there, it feels like life is empty." 

His cigar ran out and he put the bud in an ashtray. He reached into his pocket to take out another one when your arms wrapped around him. You didn't say anything, only crying dry tears. Recovering from being cut off guard, Smoker patted your back.

"I know... it's been a long day."