Day 9 - The Very Noisy Night (Sabo x Reader)

"Get up lazy bones," Koala orders, shaking Sabo awake.

"Huh?" Sabo stirs but becomes less sleepy when Koala hits him on the head with his pillow. "Ow! I'm up, I'm up."

"It's your turn to watch," Koala states dropping the pillow next to him before going over to her sleeping bag.

"Right... right..." Sabo rubs his eyes, trying to remove the tiredness from his body.

The blond sits up and reaches for his top hat. He glances over at Koala who had already fallen asleep in no time. Sighing to himself, knowing he'll be alone with his thoughts, Sabo stares at his hat now in his grasp, specifically the two photos inside. His hand takes the pictures and brings them out so he could see them clearly in the fire's light.

One is of Luffy and Ace all grown up, surrounded by the elder brother's fire that protects them from the marines. The other is of [Y/n] who is cheerfully reading a book to a few rescued children. Sabo half smiles gazing over the photos, seeing the people he loves with enthusiasm, yet his heart is squeezed at the sight since he knows Ace and [Y/n] are gone. While an excuse could be made for why he wasn't able to save Ace, nothing could be said for the loss of [Y/n].

"Why... why did I let you die, [Y/n]?" Sabo asked as if you could hear his words, yet only silence responds. The blond brushes the rim of his hat as he thought back to the event. "I was there, I could've..." He paused, unsure what he could've done to stop your death. Sighing to himself, figuring he best not ponder on the matter any longer tonight, he placed the pictures back in his hat.

"Sabo..." 

"Hm?" Sabo glances over at Koala, thinking the feminine voice was her, but the redhead continued to snooze away. Sabo narrowed his eyes at the girl before placing his top hat on his head. "That's rather strange."

Sabo did his best to ignore his speculating thoughts of where the voice came from. He tried distracting himself by manipulating fire, but he had begun to grow uneasy, feeling eyes on his back. The area seemed to have dropped in temperature as he shiver when chills ran across his arms, leaving a trail of goosebumps.

"Sabo..."

"Who's there?" Sabo inquired standing up.

"Sabo..."

Cautiously, the fire human glanced around, trying to identify where the voice came from. He couldn't be imagining it if there was a source. Picking up his pipe, he extended his flames to his weapon and waved it around like a torch.

"Sabo..." the voice called once more, this time sounding a little distant away from him.

Sabo headed in the direction of the haunting voice, determined to know the source. He wished to know why it called to him. The voice continued to lead him by whispering his name, luring him to darker and colder areas. Sabo wasn't aware how far he had strayed from camp until he tripped and faceplanted into the soft ground.

"Wait..." Sabo lifted himself up and analyzed the ground. "Snow? When did-"

"Sabo..."

The blond looked up to see you standing in front of him. His eyes widen as a mix of emotions filled him when he laid eyes on the woman he never had the chance to fully love.

"[Y/n], what- what are you doing here? I thought- I thought you- you..." Sabo didn't want to say it.

"Sabo..." Your lifeless eyes bore into his and you place your hands on his shoulders. Arrows begin to stick out of your arms and the poisoned tips leak their substance down your flesh and onto Sabo's. Tears run down your eyes as ice freezes him in place. "Why did you not protect me?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Sabo! Sabo! Snap out of it!" Koala cried, frantically shaking the poor blond awake.

"Koala? When did you- I- [Y/n]-"

"Calm down, Sabo," Koala tells him and makes him lie back down. "You were muttering in your sleep again, crying this time too."

"Oh..." Sabo pressed his fingers to his cheek and felt the damp trail that his tears left.

"Uh... anyway, it's your turn to watch-"

"Actually Koala, could you get Hack to do it instead?" Sabo requested, and pulled his cover back on. "I don't think I'm in the right state of mind to keep watch."

Sabo could hear the girl protest but had already zoned out of his surroundings as he laid eyes on you standing in the distance.