31. Vedika

"We grant the power of the Thakur Mansion and all of late Yashvant Thakur's assets, including his business to Vedika Thakur, his only daughter and thereby his only rightful heiress".

"Thank you", Vedika said as she got the house keys from the lawyer. She was soon to be married to Nakul and would henceforth be addressed as Thakurani, the lady of the Thakur Mansion.

"What punishment do you want to give her?", the lawyer asked Vedika gesturing to her stepmother who stood behind her as a convict.

Vedika took a glance at the woman her father had married. Daju Ma looked like a defeated woman. Her towering, sensuous figure had drooped. The woman who had so far basked in the glory of deceit; the woman who had lived her entire life carrying out and succeeding in the devious plans (plans, that she had such a talent for) to wrest away wealth and prosperity that were not rightfully hers, had finally tired of her own games.

Karma had finally clawed at her, sinking it's nails deep into her flesh.

However, could not such a skilled and intelligent woman, with little effort, have been able to acquire the same wealth and prosperity she wanted to steal from others, on her own? Vedika wondered. Why had Daju Ma chosen to resort to a life of sin? But alas, the minds of criminals are often beyond logic.

Daju Ma had no protests to make,  "Do anything to me", she said in a dead voice, "kill me. It doesn't matter anymore".

Vedika turned her face away. Devoleena Thakur was now charged with theft, domestic violence and breach of trust. From the servants, Vedika knew that her stepmother was involved in drug dealing with Komolika, the notorious brothel owner in Rewa. Ranga had promised her that he was ready to testify against Daju Ma in court.

If Vedika added that to the plate, along with charges for abetting the death of Ganga's son, Vedika knew she could get her stepmother really severe punishment. There was no proof for the murder of her father but circumstances had changed. Vedika now held the upper hand. All her servants were ready to back her up. Moreover, she had the support of the powerful Mittals. She could easily order the death of Daju Ma.

It was her chance to take blood for blood. Nobody alive would question her.

Nobody alive would question her, yes.

But what about her dead parents?

They wouldn't have wanted Vedika doing this. They wouldn't have wanted Vedika to become a murderer too. What was the use of killing Daju Ma anyway? It was upto the cosmic powers to decide what Daju Ma's fate would be. She didn't want a role in that. It didn't take much longer for Vedika to decide.

"Just take her away", she said finally to the lawyer, "I don't want to see her ever again".

She was surprised by how such a authoritative statement, came to her so naturally. But then, she had to get used to calling the shots. She was now, after all, the owner of the Thakur Mansion.

The lawyer looked baffled, "Thakurani are you sure? You want this witch to just be banished? This is your one chance to kill her. Do not miss it".

"I am completely sure", said Vedika firmly "And Lawyer saab", she said with an afterthought, "Please be nice to her daughters".

••••

The ample sunshine of the day was nothing compared to the warmth that ran through Vedika's veins when she saw Ganga walk in through the Thakur's gateway escorted by two guards.

Happy tears ran down her face as she embraced her friend, "Thank you!" she said.

Ganga snorted, "Thank you? For what?"

"For making all this possible", Vedika said. She had not ignored the idea of what might have happened if Ganga had not arrived with the key to the attic where her stepmother had locked her up. She would probably still be locked up there while Nakul had married someone else.

"Just shut up and take some credit for yourself Ganga!", Vedika said in mock anger.

"Okay I will", Ganga replies "When I stayed in the temple, I prayed everyday that you should be saved from your stepmother's death. I guess my prayers helped you in some way".

"You are a great actress, you know", Vedika looked at her friend in approval, "But girl, you should know that if you hadn't come and got me out of the attic that day, God knows what would've happened.....What?",she stopped seeing the blank expression on her Ganga's face.

"Vedika, what are you saying?", Ganga blinked "I came and got you out of the attic?"

"Now don't be pull my leg Gangu", Vedika said dismissively.

"Vedu, I'm serious", Ganga said "I have no idea what you're talking about. I hadn't not stepped out of the temple since last week. How could I have come to Thakur mansion? Are you hallucinating?"

"Oh God, Ganga.." Vedika muttered "Please tell me you're joking".

"You know I have a better sense of humour than that", Ganga replied. 

"Then who came and got me out?", Vedika asked, her voice choking with emotion now. 

"I don't know", said Ganga looked emotional too, "Maybe Maa Kali?"

"Huh?", Vedika's eyes welled up.

"Goddess Kali, our mother", Ganga shrugged "That's the only explanation I can think of.. Maybe she came in my form..or..or maybe, it was Thakurani Anjali sahiba's spirit".

"What are you saying Ganga?" Vedika was confused, bewildered and overwhelmed by this apparent paranormality. She cupped her face and sat down on the ground. Was she important enough to receive a divine intervention in her life?

"Ganga!" one of the other maids called from inside. Having returned to Thakur Mansion, Ganga had had a happy reunion with all the fellow servants.

"I'm coming", Ganga called back. She turned to a still dazed Vedika, "Go get ready, it's your wedding reception tonight", she said.

A/N : Don't worry people. Coming with an epilogue next week ❤️

While we're at that, please let me know what you think of this chapter. Thank you so much for all your constant support and love ❤️ It means the world to me and this has been a beautiful beautiful journey of almost ten months.

See you all next Sunday ❤️❤️

Much love!
Nivetha