23. Vedika

Though Vedika had grown up in one of the richest houses of Rewa herself, she couldn't help being awed by the way the family house of the Mittals had been set up for the night. It was a sight to behold.

The domes of the mansion gleamed against a purpling sky. Painted horses stood at the frontier, harnessed to golden and silver carriages that lined the entire driveway. The manor stood glamorous and glorious decked up with a thousand diyas, dozens of intricate and meticulously designed rangolis and an enormous banquet hall. Behind it from the kitchen exotic aromas wafted through the air.

Vedika remembered her last visit to the mansion with her father, Daju Ma and her step sisters. It had been a lazy winter afternoon and Vedika barely remembered anything. There was only thing about Mittal Mansion that was vivid in her memory - the young man who lived in it.

As the carriage drove to a halt, she noticed the wildflowers in bloom by the side of the road, round and yellow with black centres. Even ordinary flowers like those, enchanted her that night.

The horseman jumped down from his seat and ran to pull open the carriage door for her. Vedika liked him. He had handled the horses with ample grace and the ride had been smooth. For a lizard, he was really good.

Vedika got down and thanked the horseman and the footmen who agreed to wait for her with the horses till she came back. She then beckoned to the men carrying the gifts to follow her. It was time to enter the engagement hall.

•••

"Widow of the late Yashvant Thakur - Devoleenaji and her daughters", the butler announced to the great hall filled with glittering chandeliers, diamond studded carved pillars and an audience of almost thousand people.

Vedika quickly hid behind one of the attendants. But she needn't have worried. Her stepmother and stepsisters had already walked past her twice and had given no signs of recognition. It was impossible too to recognise Vedika after Omisha had transformed her.

Vedika watched warily as Daju Ma, Sonakshi and Madhuri got ready to walk their way down the elaborate staircase to join the guests who had already been welcomed.

Daju Ma went first. There was some polite applause. Sonakshi went next and before she placed her foot on the first step, whispered loudly in the butler's ear, "You didn't mention our names. I'm Sonakshi and I'm very pretty. They would want to know", she said and winked outrageously.

The butler blinked for a second and then with some reluctance announced, "The very pretty Sonakshi Thakur" as Sonakshi bounced down the stairs with less grace than a stable cat. There was almost no applause.

Next Madhuri tottered up to him, "I'm Madhuri", she said "and I'm the talented one".

"The very talented Madhuri ji!", the butler announced in a tortured tone as Madhuri walked down to a completely silent hall.

After a few other guests, it was Vedika's turn.

"Rajkumari of Rewa", Vedika said with some hesitation.

To her surprise, the butler looked at her with some approval and nodded, "The Rajkumari of Rewa", he announced.

And this time there was not little or polite applause. The whole hall cheered enthusiastically. People were breathtaken by this unfamiliar beauty. Vedika felt like a child who was being applauded as she walked down the staircase feeling both nervous and excited. She tried to make out Nakul in the crowd of people watching her, but in vain.

Down in the hall, there were so many things happening. As Vedika looked around, she saw the ravishing bride-to-be sitting on the seat placed on the dias. It took less than two seconds for Vedika to see the longing and unhappiness in her.

Feeling a sense of automatic sisterhood towards her, Vedika decided to go and speak to her if she got the chance.

Next to the bride, sat Akshat Mittal looking superiorly haughty and bored. At the edge of the dias, Vedika saw Sonakshi grab a sherbet glass from one of the maids and run to offer it with copious grace to Akshat who accepted it with a lot of unnecessary smiling. Vedika's sympathy towards Akshat's fiance multiplied exponentially.

Away from the dias, Vedika saw people flock from this side to that side, talking in groups, sipping glasses of sherbet, waiting for the main ceremony to begin. And then she heard a voice behind her.

"Vedika".

Even before she turned, she knew the voice belonged to Nakul Mittal. And he alone, of all people, would never fail to recognise her.

A/N : My precious people ❤️

I know I said I would give two chapters today but I was planning for a some good mush in the next chapter *hehe* and I need a little more time to write it.

I know you guys (especially the ones who also write) will understand the fact that writers sometimes know exactly what they want to write but the words just seem to evaporate when the fingers meet the keyboard or the mobile screen.

You people have been such an understanding audience to my story so far. Recently, I got some really sweet pms. I am really grateful for that and for every single precious second you guys spend on my story. I only hope to entertain you as much as I can.

That's it guys. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. More of Nakul and Vedika coming next week ❤️

Much love ❤️
Nivetha