15. Vedika

It had been more than twenty four hours since Vedika had eaten anything. She sat crouched in her usual corner of the servant quarters, not eating, not sleeping, not working. But she had been doing this too often, for quite a long time now that none of the other servants took any notice of her aloofness. They went about their work.

Vedika couldn't blame them. How were they to know she wasn't having just another mood swing. That she had just found out that the woman her father had chosen to marry, had to chosen to kill him.

No matter how much she pondered over it, Vedika could not comprehend one thing.

How could a woman kill her own husband?

Or was she, Vedika, too soft and sheltered for the ways of the world?

According to Vedika,her mother Anjali Thakur had been one of the wisest women in the world. And she had followed her advice. To be good and be kind. And to always believe that it would come back to her. Both her parents had lived by that philosophy. And much good it had done them! How had they both ended up? Dead.

Vedika thought she would go insane. She couldn't believe she was living under the refuge of her father's killer.

Mingled with burning grief for her parents' unfair deaths, was a more selfish concern in Vedika's heart. A woman who had no qualms killing the man who had given a new life to her and her fatherless children, would certainly have no trouble finishing Vedika off, if need be. 

Vedika knew Daju Ma was still harbouring her only on Damodar's advice on protecting her reputation. Vedika had to admit, though Damodar was an asshole, he was right. People were indeed suspicious of the happenings in the Thakur household. In the last few months alone, there had already been two deaths in the house - one of which was that of the owner of the house himself. If a third death happened, the neighbours wouldn't keep quiet after that.

It relieved Vedika to some extent. She believed she was safe, at least for a little while. But how stupid one's beliefs can be sometimes!

•••

"Well..", Daju Ma drawled as she leaned back on the great armchair with one leg on top of the other, sipping her ginger tea, her saree, dark and glossy as ever; hair, wild and shining as always. Vedika bustled around her in the drawing room dusting all the shelves and ornate showcases, being extra docile and subservient. She needed something from Daju Ma. 

Daju Ma continued, "If you complete all your chores, and find yourself something decent to wear..then I see no reason why you shouldn't come with us".

Vedika couldn't believe her ears. Daju Ma was actually telling her that she could go to Mittal Mansion on Diwali night. Her stepsisters sitting on the couch opposite Daju Ma, eating laddus made by Rudra, were watching the scene, stupefied.

"But Ma!", Sonakshi protested "How can she come?"

"Yes Ma", Madhuri cooed along with her sister, "The Mittals have invited only the noblemen and women of Rewa. She is just a maid". Vedika ignored the sting.

"Shut up you two!", Daju Ma snapped "I haven't asked for your opinions. You needn't tell me what to do".

The two girls fell silent immediately with stupid expressions on their faces. That was them. Vedika sometimes genuinely felt that even both their brains combined together, would still be smaller than an acorn. She couldn't understand how two such vacuous bimbettes had been produced by an evil genius like Devoleena.

Vedika realised Daju Ma was looking at her, "I...thank you very much", Vedika mumbled before hurrying out of the room, forgetting to dust the rest of the hall. For after people get what they want, they forget what they're supposed to do.

Vedika didn't know why she was thanking Daju Ma though. Going to Mittal Mansion was as good as her birthright. She didn't need permission for it. But she was delighted. She was going to meet Nakul Mittal again!

•••

Careful not to be seen, Vedika climbed up the ladder to the attic in her small room inside the servant quarters.

With some effort, she pulled down the trunk she had placed there just a few days ago. Her hands shaking, her heart beating wildly against her chest she opened and once again pulled out the peacock coloured garment of her mother.

Vedika knew she couldn't sneak back into Daju Ma's room and lay her hands on another one of her mother's dresses. This one was her only option for Diwali night. She ran her fingers through the fabric, achingly. She didn't know if it was her imagination but she felt like it still smelt of her mother. She knew that the ladies who had come to their house the other day would probably remember the dress and mock her for wearing it again. But Vedika didn't care.

She caressed the flawless fabric a few more times before folding it carefully. She proceeded to put it back inside the trunk when she heard a noise outside. In a moment of haste and fear, she dropped the garment which unfurled itself on the floor and as she bent down to pick it up, she unknowingly placed one foot on the edge of the dress and as she lifted it up, she has the painful ripping sound of the cloth.

Vedika's heart sank. She did not know how to sew. Except for dance, she was no good at any other art form. She was terrible at painting, singing and drawing rangolis. She couldn't pay anyone else to do it either. The only money she had was what she was saving for her trip to Kasi to pay homage to her father. The once richest young girl in Rewa for whom expert goldsmiths and famous cloth merchants arrived at the Thakur's doorstep, now had no money to pay a tailor.

Cursing whoever had caused the chaos, Vedika turned around, feeling frustrated. And immediately regretted her curse. Peering through the door was the curly head of the butler Rudra's eleven year old daughter Rumki.

Vedika gestured for Rumki to come in.

Rumki's big eyes darted to the torn fabric, "What happened didi?"

"Nothing beta", Vedika shook her head as she picked up the dress and again started folding whatever remained of it. She turned around to hide her tears.

"I can fix that dress", she heard Rumki say.

Vedika paused, "You can?", she asked uncertainly.

Rumki nodded vigorously, "I've been sewing since I was six", she said, looking pleased with herself.

"You are my saviour beta!", Vedika cried in joy as she surrendered the dress to Rumki. Rumki ran out of the room and came back in two minutes with a box under her arm.

Vedika watched with adoration as the kid pulled out her needle and thread and started sewing the fabric together. She visualised meeting Nakul Mittal again, wearing this. He was sure to be struck by her. Though, he was not really one to be fascinated by flamboyant attires. He had looked at her with the same awe, even when she had been standing in an old torn saree the other day. Still, Vedika hoped to make his heart skip a beat. The heart over which she also hoped to run her long fingers.

The bubble of her romance was pricked no sooner than it had formed.

"VEDIKA!"

Three female voices cried in unison from the hall.

Rumki and Vedika looked at each other.

"Go didi", Rumki said "I'll take care of this".

Vedika nodded as she got up and left the room.

Out in the hall, her stepmother and stepsisters sat in three corners of the room looking at her expectantly.

"Oh..Vedika, you're here", Daju Ma said matter-of-factly "I need you to press these clothes for us. You see, these are the ones we'll wear tomorrow for Diwali night. You also have to come up with some braiding hairstyles for Sonakshi and Madhuri. Also, find all of us matching jewellery. Tomorrow you have to get your sisters ready. You also have to make sure the carriage and horses are ready to take us to Mittal Mansion. That's your job too".

Vedika looked at Daju Ma, knowing fully well that all these jobs had been assigned to her so that in the end, she wouldn't have enough time to get ready. But she was determined not to give the reaction that the three women were expecting from her.

So all she said was, "Yes. Daju Ma".