17. Vedika

When Vedika came back from the temple, it was still dark. She would snuck back in the same way she had come out, Vedika decided. But as she approached the back gate, she heard someone call her name. She turned around.

"Ranga!", Vedika cried out on seeing her father's favourite servant boy. Even though they basically lived in the same quarters, Vedika barely came across him these days because he worked in the stables and she, inside the house.

"Where are you going?", Vedika asked curiously as she noticed a bullock cart behind him.

"Daju Ma has asked me to transport these to Komolika's den", he gestured to bags placed inside the cart.

Vedika was outraged, "What? You are going to Komolika's den?", she burst out.

Ranga shrugged, "Your stepmother is paying me".

"And what are they?", Vedika asked pointing to the bags, though she already knew what the answer might be.

"Opium for Komolika's guests", Ranga said casually.

"Hey Ram!", Vedika slapped her forehead "Father considered you as his own son, Ranga. It's a sin to go to a whore house. Don't do this", she begged.

Ranga's nonchalant demeanor changed, "Woman, you talk like I'm on my way to rape someone", he snapped "Can't you mind your own business?"

"I thought you'd do better than that", Vedika said stiffly, "I thought you had some integrity".

"Yeah and integrity will help me in my old age, will it? Daju Ma is ready to give me money for all this. I'm just making hay while the sun is shining. Now get lost".

"You are disgusting", Vedika said, "Father would've been ashamed".

She turned her back to him and started marching into the house.

"Hey wait".

Vedika turned. Ranga was looking at her with a slightly softer expression.

"What?"

"I just want to warn you", Ranga said "Komolika's den is not so dangerous to me as it is to you".

Vedika was flummoxed, "What do you mean?", she asked.

"Your stepmother, the old witch is planning to sell you to Komolika after Diwali. That's why she is being nice to you and has allowed you to go to Mittal Mansion tomorrow. So don't be fooled. She is planning to get rid of you in the worst manner possible".

Vedika's head went into a whirl.

"Huh?", she asked not sure of what she had heard.

"Yes. I overheard her talking to that fox Damodar who hobnobs with people like Komolika. I heard they're in the process of fixing an amount for you. And apparently, the rakshasi is not happy with the price that Damodar is offering. So she's waiting for a greater bid. That's what is saving you for now. Your stepmother's greed".

Vedika cringed. And she had thought things couldn't get any worse.

Suddenly a grain of suspicion formed in Vedika's head.

"Why are you warning me though?", she asked Ranga.

Ranga looked at her for a second and then gave out a mirthless cackle, "Little bitch! You're suspecting me too? Alright..fine. If that's your stand, take it. You ask me why I'm warning you? Thank your father for that. I've eaten your father's salt for so many years. And I loved him. Because, although to you he was father, to me he was God. I'm obliged to help his daughter".

Inspite of herself, Vedika's eyes welled up. This was something that Daju Ma would never be able to claim from Yashvant. The loyalty of his servants.

It was indeed sweet to realise that, Vedika now knew of the plan that endangered her life because of the love that her father's servant had for his master.