Vol. 1: Chapter 4.1 - The Gates of Hell

"Say are you a student at ANHS too? You are wearing the school uniform after all." I asked him a very dumb question, but I just wanted to make small talk ok? Don't judge me.

"Ah. Yes I am actually. I'm in Class D. How about you? What class are you in?" He replied, his voice still containing no emotion.

"What a coincidence, I'm in Class D too!" I remarked.

"Yeah, coincidences can be freaky." It just now occurred to me that I never got his name.

"The name's Satou Kazuma. Hopefully we can be great friends." I extended my right hand out.

My seatmate seemed momentarily shocked once I uttered my name, staring at my right hand and face for a few moments, before returning the gesture and introducing himself.

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, likewise Satou." For some unknown reason, hearing that name come out of his mouth and referring to me sounds wrong.

"Just call me Kazuma! That's what most people I know call me anyway."

"Okay then...Kazuma." With that Ayanokouji went back to staring out the window. He doesn't seem to be good at making conversation.

"So did you come here alone or did you attend with someone?" Okay, take two!

"I attended alone, I was homeschooled my entire life after all. How about you?" Finally some new info about him! Homeschooled huh? His attitude does make sense taking that into account.

And if you're asking why I'm trying hard to befriend him. It's just because he seems like a chill dude to hang out with, outside of my party.

"Me? Oh I came with 3 other people. They're not here since they wanted to walk to get to school. I know it's weird, but it's also their first time at a school, maybe you guys can bond over stepping into unfamiliar territory." I joked.

"I see. I'd like to meet these friends of yours then Kazuma, if you would allow me to." Well that's a weird question. Though none if my skills have detected anything abnormal say I'm in the clear!

"I mean sure I guess... But you wouldn't be able to handle them..." Very few people have actually met my party and wanted to talk with them again, especially those who don't know anything about them.

"I think I can handle it..." His gaze swept past me to look at a certain event unfolding on the bus.

"Excuse me, but shouldn't you offer up your seat?"

As Ayanokouji and I were talking a woman's voice could suddenly be heard. We both properly looked behind us and were a but surprised at what we saw.

A young, well-built blond man of high school age had sat down in one of the priority seats. The elderly woman stood right next to him, and another woman stood beside her. This second, younger lady appeared to be an office worker.

The blond guy definitely screamed rich kid to me. I've met my fair share of those and only a few of them were decent people.

"Hey, you there. Can't you see that this elderly woman is having
trouble?" the office lady said.

She seemed to want the young man to offer up his seat. Her voice carried quite well throughout the quiet bus, attracting
several people's attention.

"That's a really crazy question, lady," the boy said.

I wondered whether the boy was angry, unobservant, or just painfully honest, probably the last one.

In any case, he grinned broadly and crossed his legs. "Why should I offer up my seat? There's no reason for me to do so."