On the top of the hill, Rayne watched in amusement as Liam was knocked to the ground with the small Queen standing over him with a wide grin. "She's kicking his ass," she laughed to her mother. "I think it's good for him. I could tell yesterday that he missed fighting."

"He's Viking, dear. It's as natural to them as it is breathing," Nimuë stood near Rayne, also watching Liam and Maab spar. "Come, now you need to train. This time, you need to use your desiccation powers. You must control it completely."

Rayne spun around to face her mother and gasped, "I can't, I'll kill you!" she shivered at the thought.

"You can't kill the Goddess of Death, my child. True, you can wound me, but I will heal." She took Rayne's face in her hands, "Listen to the voices, Rayne. Let the dead speak to you. You can do this," her voice trailed off into just a whisper and she vanished. There was a thunderous bang and before Rayne stood a towering wyvern, crouched and ready to pounce. "Face me!" the creature roared, charging toward her.

Rayne stumbled back in shock. Then she heard them, the voices from the Fallen land. They whispered to her, telling her to stand and fight. Rayne straightened and lifted her head, feeling her body grow cold and dim. Her hair swirled around her and her skin began to ash. The wyvern swung its tail at her crashing to the side of her. Rayne didn't flinch or react, she just kept walking forward toward the beast. The voices spoke of death and release, but most of all they wanted revenge. She could feel the power coursing through her, wanting to devour her and drag her back into those caverns. She remembered Cailleach and her grandmother.

The beast drew back its head and blasted Rayne with its hot fiery breath. She slowly raised her hands and the flames simply went around her as if a bubble protected her. She continued to advance on the creature. She began to chant in a slow rhythm. She knew the words to say but did not even recognize her own voice. The song was ancient, from a time long before her own. Her song seemed to confuse the wyvern, causing it to stumble and fall. Rayne had not touched the beast, yet it acted as if it had been wounded. Still, she advanced closer to it, the ground beneath her feet wilting and rotting.

Maab and Liam watched from below. When he saw the creature falter, Liam tried to go to Rayne, afraid she would go too far, but Maab grabbed his forearm and held him back. "Nimuë knows what she is doing. Rayne must conquer this alone, Trickster." Liam protested at first but finally relented, and stood, watching helplessly.

Rayne continued forward, reaching out one hand to the beast, continuing to sing. The creature began to disintegrate until only Nimuë stood on the hill, her enchantment broken, but completely unharmed. When she saw her mother, Rayne stopped singing and slowly regained her true form. She looked at her mother and smiled before collapsing. Liam teleported and caught her before she could hit the ground, cradling her in his arms. He looked up at Nimuë, "What happened?"

"She beat me. Rayne broke my enchantment and then she stopped all by herself," Nimuë whispered. "She's ready."

When she came to, she was in a shady spot near the gardens and Maab gave her something to eat and drink. She was drained from using the power, but proud of herself for controlling it. "You need to practice again, but this time without fear of death," Liam said. "I know you believe her ready, my Lady, but I want to be sure. If she collapses every time she uses the power then she will be killed. Eris will just wait until she is too weak to continue." Nimuë knew he was right and agreed. "This time, I want you to face me, Rayne," Liam looked into her eyes.

She shook her head, "No, I nearly killed you last time! What if I can't stop?" her fear made her voice crack.

"You will stop," He lifted her chin and looked into her eyes, "I trust you." He stood and held her hands, pulling her to her feet. He took them a few steps away from the garden and turned to face her. "This is as good a place as any other, now try."