Chapter 72

I brought sweets and new clothes home for my boy, who was where I left him, groaning on his bed.

"I did pushups," he said, an arm over his face. "Only made it to five before my elbows popped."

"Oh dear, I told you not to push it, yet you're covered in sweat."

"It's a cold sweat. I don't know why it keeps coming."

I frowned at that and brushed my hand over his head, sending magic tendrils to check up on him.

"Your body seems to be having an influx of hormones. I may have helped your bones and muscles catch up, but there are other secondary traits that need time to reflect that."

"Secondary traits?"

I grinned wickedly. "Well you see, a little boy's pecker isn't like a man's—"

"NOPE! Nope! I get it!"

"Good. I'll start a warm bath for you then. A soak should help with the soreness. Then you can have these scrumptious goodies—and look! I even got you some nice new clothes with my money muscle. You're gonna look so dapper!"

He just groaned and rolled away from me onto his side.

I let him. He was having a rough time, he deserved to have a free pass to some attitude.

Even so, I took a quick jog down out the door to the kitchen to check up on how he had eaten while I was gone. There, I met my favorite acne-friend maids, who, on hearing of my apprentices plight, offered to bring up some essential oils and Epsom salts to help with the soreness, for which I gave many much gushes of thanks. Anything towards the raising of my boy were brownie points to me.

But even once the bath was finished filling and scented oh so good, Gus didn't appear. I went to see how he was doing to find my concern well met, as he had only made it to the doorway between mine and his room before he had to clutch the wall, weak legs shaking. He kept his face averted as I got his arm over my shoulder to help him.

"Look at that! You're easily as tall as me now! Maybe even taller."

He did seem to cheer up a little at that thought and some strength seemed to return to his limbs enough for him to get himself into the bath.

"Let me know if you need help out, okay?"

"I'll drown first."

"I'd rather you didn't. It's not like I haven't seen a naked guy before."

"Is that supposed to help me feel better? Because it doesn't. Shut up."

"Rawr, fine."

I took it upon myself to hang up his new clothes in the simple wardrobe in his room. I had measured him before I had gone into town, but I still worried. I'd left in room for him to fill in, along with a good leather belt, but I already had plans to set aside a savings just for his clothes. I even got him a new set of boots, though they'd have to be broken in. Hopefully he'd let me heal his blisters for him. Gal, some of the technologies I had never thought to take for granted in this world. Or maybe I just took for granted that a god had made my boots.

Just as I was putting my own new clothing away and unlacing my boots, a footman came knocking at my door with the boxes holding my mermaid dress and accessories.

"The duke is wondering if you would like some tea in your room tonight, miss," he asked.

"That would be lovely. Could I have enough for my apprentice as well?"

"Of course, miss."

"Please tell him thank you for me."

The footman bowed out and I closed and locked the door with a smile. For some reason, Roman had made it a point to supply me with at least a cup of tea every evening, and sometimes during our get together before lunch, whether he saw me or not. I hadn't found any caffeinated side effects to the teas he served, so I wasn't sure if it was because it was a concern for addiction or else wise. But knowing it was a luxury only nobles and the rich could afford, and liking tea quite a bit, I couldn't bring the desire in me to turn him down.