Chapter 58

For the first time, my weekly (or biweekly, depending on how busy the inn was) visit to the temple was headed by Gus. He woke me up in the morning and almost seemed eager to go, which was...weird. Usually it was like pulling teeth to get him to go to the temple, and he'd inevitably go only because 'I needed protection' or whatever. His oddly complacent mood carried on all the way to the temple doors, which he entered without scowling or looking tired once. He even bowed his head and folded his arms in prayer once we sat down in a pew without my nagging.

It was almost...disturbing.

Especially since I was the one trying not to fall asleep. Nehcor's answers to my prayers ranged from single sentences to an entire conversation that bordered on making me pass out whenever I came to the temple to pray. Today I knew we had a lot to talk about, but I didn't know how much I'd be able to receive before giving in to my exhaustion. Needless to say, I hadn't slept all that great the night before.

But even as I knew we had a lot to talk about, I didn't know what to say. There was either too much to say or I'd already figured out the answer and now I couldn't figure out what was left that I needed to know.

So I found myself sitting blankly for a while after opening the prayer.

Thankfully, Nehcor didn't need me to start out.

'If you take his offer to take the job of being the ducal healer, it'd help you feel a lot better about receiving all this help for Damascus's education.'

I already figured that, I said. But will I be okay? Like...no kingly hunt for me or getting set on an alter?

'You are inevitably going to get bad attention at some point. But at least under that guy, especially when he becomes the duke, you'll have more protection than if you're found in an inn.'

Aren't you supposed to see and know everything? Why can't you just tell me how to avoid all this?

'I've already answered this before, but seeing and knowing everything also includes knowing what not to say and when to say it. I will help you to avoid what's necessary to ensure the best outcome, but you can't avoid everything. It would—'

Infringe on agency and the value of suffering, yeah yeah.

'And the creation and strengthening of valuable relationships and opportunities. There are a lot of strings to be aware of, you know?'

You know, the more we talk, the less all powerful you seem. You're constrained by so many rules.

'It's the rules that give me all power. The rules are the tools that make creation and power possible. A kite cannot fly without string to hold it to the ground, or the wind to flow in a certain direction.'

Yeah, godhood lessons aside, why the heck did you make me so freaking pretty if you knew it would make him fall in love with me?

'...you're really shallow minded.'

Excuse me?

'Do you really think it's just because you're pretty?'

Point is, continuing on the misinformation of giving me a baby—

'—I didn't misinform—'

Why the FRICK did you tell me to raise him when he was going to want to make me his bride, huh?! Are you sick in the head?

'Why are you so appalled by this? There are many who believe a child wishing to marry their parent is cute.'

Yeah, when they're, like, five.