Chapter 53

There was a chandelier dripping with crystals. And walls with those plaster-formed square frame thingies that served as placeholders for paintings. And red carpet all up the stairs made of dark polished wood. And those weird little side-tables whose sole purpose is to hold rich-ass vases all full of fresh flowers—frick, look at all those candles lighting up this place. It was a pain enough for me to light the candles back home, how do they light so many candles, and all up way stupid high on that massive chandelier? And was that—it was, that was a butler coming at me. Grey-haired and everything, he even had the monocle and—and—

"May I take your coat, milady?"

I was hardly aware of myself slipping off Milly's coat, because dude, I think the frames on those paintings had gold leaf. And dude, those paintings...they were just landscapes and the like, but I bet they were fancy-ass expensive landscapes! And one was of some round-face chick in a poofy dress looking all regal and crap!

"Everything is so shiny..."

I heard Roman chuckle and his shoes tapping across the floor.

"I hope this doesn't make you uncomfortable."

"No, it's..." I had to pause as I got a closer look at him, coming towards me as he was. "You're pretty shiny too."

He raised an amused eyebrow. "Shiny?"

"Nice! I mean nice!"

And he did look ridiculously nice. Thankfully, he hadn't dressed to the knives like his footman or butler. He wore a simple white shirt with a green vest and black pants that tied at his waist. The only thing shiny about him were his black boots and the emerald brooch on his cravat. And maybe his hair. Such pretty, shiny, wavy hair, all combed perfectly along his part and too the side. Mr. Darcy indeed.

...That made me really uncomfortable.

"Though I got to say, it's a lot easier to look at you than it is that diamond glory you have hanging up there, or your door guys. I've never felt so out of place in my life." I found myself being a lot more frank and speaking more off my mind because I was so distracted, mostly by his stupidly pretty face. I couldn't believe I had forgotten just how much of an impact his looks had on me, or that looks could have an impact on me. I'd never been one to care about appearance, but freaking holy crap, if that boy couldn't brainwash Nazis with those looks I'd eat my own face.

"I assure you, it's only crystal, not diamond, and I did try to dress in a way that would put you at ease. If there's anything I can do to make you feel more at home, please let me know."

I glanced back, but the butler was gone. "You could make sure they don't throw away my coat."

He blinked. "Why would they do that?"

"I don't know, just I figured, having to be around this all the time, they might mistake it for rags..." Hang on, I was sounding really rude. You didn't just walk in and keep talking about how fancy and rich someone's house was, even if it was all you could see. "Sorry, where are my manners? Thanks for inviting me, along with the ride and the escort. This is really very kind of you."

"No need to push yourself on the niceties, my lady. Just talk as you usually would. I assure you, I won't judge you on such things."

"I'll...I'll try." Nevermind the fact that being in this entryway in my simple white and lace peasant dress made me feel like all the servants were looking at me like a dog that had just peed on the floor.

Roman held out his hand to me.

"Allow me to escort you to the sitting room. Dinner is not quite yet ready, but I've prepared some light vintages, if wine is to your tasting. I was told by a reliable source that you're not all that fond of alcohol, so I found some very light, sweet beverages I hope are more to your liking. If not, I also have some juices and teas."