Chapter 11

We got our groceries delivered to us from local farmers that Hal had deals with. Which was good, because there was no way any of us could carry enough food to feed all the people we were getting, let alone every day, with any semblance of saving time.

But, inevitably, there would be a day when someone had to go to the market for supplies that couldn't be ordered from farmers.

"You could use a new dress anyhow," said Hal as he dropped a bag heavy with coins into my hands. "You can't always swim around in Milly's dress whenever you need to get yours clean, though I assume the breeze between your knees is nice."

I slapped his shoulder for that, for which he laughed. Dirty old man. But, then, what did I wear when my one pair of underwear needed cleaning.

"Can I get Gus some new clothes too?" I asked, as he'd been wearing a simple tunic and leggings Milly had somehow thrown together with scraps. Seriously, that woman was amazing.

"Might as well. Recite to me the list first,"

Just as I was listing off the second thing that needed buying—a back of leather straps from the tanner for tightening the beds and other such doohickeys—Gus came around the corner.

"I'm coming too. You're crazy sending her alone, old man."

He raised an eyebrow high and I frowned.

"I managed plenty before you came," I said.

"Yeah, the grand whole three days—"

"—and what protection can a skinny little thing like you give?"

He bristled at that. "I got eyes, don't I? And experience? Street smarts? You can hardly work the tavern without being taken advantage of, and that's just because you have a love slave the size of a bear looking out for you."

This rebellious, know-it-all attitude of Gus's and the whole 'love slave' business had actually been driving me nutters the past few days, and I'd been looking for this errand run as an excuse to get a break. Milly said he rode my coat tails like a baby duck, but really, where else had he to go in an inn where we all had to work together anyway? I couldn't even find it in me to tease him anymore.

"He might have a point," said Hal slowly.

"Look, I have the map Milly drew me," which I waved around like the flag of independence. "And I'm a grown effing woman, I can handle myself."

"Effing?" asked Hal.

"I'm coming with," said Gus, as firm as a mountain.

A mountain under a hundred pounds which I could push over with a toe. "No. That's final."

"You're not my mom."

"Then stop acting like you need one and grow up!" I finally snapped before twisting on the spot and stomping out.

"Lilly!" I heard him call out.

I felt guilty once I'd been given the chance to march out my madness. It had been a while since I'd been let loose from the Inn on errands due to the seasonal influx of customers, but I found it difficult to enjoy now due to guilt.

"I'm an awful parent," I groaned. "Scratch that, he doesn't even want me. But, then, I guess we don't always want what's best for us."

Because Gus needed us. That I knew for sure.

Eventually the usual sight-seeing of the city so different from the glass and steel ones of my world distracted me away from my misery. Carts and carriages passed to and through down the street. Pedestrians like me traveled along the sides, some laden with packages, others going who knows where, all dressed in varying shades of rags and sturdy clothes. Those who wore finery could only be seen through the windows of the finer carriages now and then.