Chapter 26 - Tables turned

As they were falling, they clutched on to each other tightly and instead of fear on the face of death, they were smiling and were at peace knowing that they were with each other even in their "last moments". They fell, piercing the cold wind and soon got lost somewhere in the silence of that long cold night.
" And they lived happily ever after" was a line both of them had read since they were young which they believed was the only happy ending but that day they got to know about another happy ending
" And they died peacefully in each other's embrace".

• ───────•••─────── •

Both of them fell sharply into the ice-cold river flowing under the cliff immediately alarming everyone who were waiting there already to rescue them.
Both of them had already considered this possibility and indeed had a plan ready which was however risky. According to the plan they had stationed people on either sides of the river who tightly held ropes at a few metres to each other so that both of them could hold onto the ropes and be pulled to shore with it's help. Multiple ropes were placed so that they could grab the one ahead of it if accidentally they missed the previous rope. But the risk was that, there was a waterfall at a distance and in case they were to miss all the ropes, they would be swept away by the waterfall and would directly fall into the claws of death.

Even though the risks seemed low, it appeared as if luck had abandoned them. Because of falling from such a height, both of them lost consciousness after hitting the surface of the water. Everyone was alerted waiting for them to tug the first rope. The anticipation increased and their gazes couldn't leave the rope waiting to pull samaina the moment they tug it. Their bodies came up soon due to the currents but they were still underwater, everyone could see the tip of their heads peeking out of the water but they weren't coming out, soon they reached extremely near the rope but instead of holding onto it, they swiftly passed the first one, then the second one and even the third one. By now everyone had got the idea that they must have lost their consciousness and becoming restless from this, preeti tried to jump into the water to save her family yet was caught back by pandit.

Pandit - Preeti kaha ja rahi ho tum? Abhi paani mein aise hi kood gayi toh beh jaogi tum...paagal ho gayi ho kya?

Preeti - Pandit chhoddo mujhe...I need to save them! I don't care ki mujhe kya hoga kya nahi...abhi wo dono zyaada important hainn!! Leave me!

Pandit - Think practically preeti! This is not the time to loose your mind like this!

Preeti - How can I think practically??! Jab meri family khud khatre mein hai? Do you really expect me to sit back and just do nothing? Leave me I need to save them!

Pandit - Preeti ruko I swear un dono ko kuch nahi hoga. Last rope baaki hai abhi and if they don't pull even the last one I will be the one to jump and bring them back!

Preeti - Par...

Pandit - ( *interrupting her* ) Preeti please...bhabhi ne jaane se pehle mujhse wada liya tha ki main tumhara dhyaan rakhu...she knows how much you love her aur agar kuch problem hui then tum aisa kuch zaroor karogi...so please let me do it...please...

They both stood there with tears in their eyes praying from the bottom of their hearts for samaina to return. And soon they seemed to approach the last rope, everyone was extremely agitated and scared about what would happen if they would miss even this one. Preedit were trembling and to their utter horror, samaina almost passed the last rope but their prayers got answered fortunately and at the very last moment they felt someone strongly pulling the rope and immediately from underwater samaina rose and a wave of relief washed over everyone present there.

They were pulled up instantly. Preeti hugged her sister tightly, as if she was afraid of loosing her again, she cried into her shoulder and even pandit was on the verge of crying out of relief.
Sameer-Naina calmed them down and after hugging each other gave the command.