Episode 9 S2. Trapped | 21

Julianne Bailey Routledge

The cross fell all way the through the cushions and the floor. We made sure that Pope was okay before standing and looking at the damage. One side of it was lodge into the floor, but it was almost standing perfectly straight. Pope's reflexes were crazy good, because if that thing came falling towards me, well.. let's just say that the scenario would be totally different.

JJ whistled, "She's beautiful."

"I've never seen anything like it." I commented, brushing my fingers on it.

"Details insane."

"Well, here's why Limbrey wanted that key so bad." John B stated, pointing out the keyhole.

"Woah, good find. How much do you think she's worth? Like, if we melted her bones down, dude, I'm talking, like, high billions."

"No! This belongs in a museum." John B said, putting JJ in his place.

"What? So no one sees her?"

"In a museum where everyone sees it."

"Are you kidding?"

"Hey! It's my ancestors' cross."

"Right, okay, well-"

"This is bigger than money, and the world's gotta know the truth."

"Yes. If we don't get this outta here before Limbrey gets her- nobody's gonna know. So saddle up."

It took us five minutes to get into a good position and as we lifted this thing, which felt like it weighed as much as it was worth, I could feel the now dried blood on my arm ripping open and blood gushing back out of the wounds. Pope began writing in agony from his stings and despite JJ's protests, let go of it and fell backwards. I tried my best to hold it together, gripping my arm as the shirt began to soak again.

"Okay- okay-" John B stopped Sarah and JJ's arguing, "We'll make, like, a sling, like a little-"

"Yeah- yeah- then we'll put it on a tail hitch."

"Guys." Pope groaned, "I'm not okay. I'm not okay."

"Oh, my god, Pope." I gasped.

"Your eyes-"

"You good? You don't look too good, bro."

Pope's eyes were almost swollen shut and he he was swollen almost everywhere.

"I can't-" He gasped for air.

"He's having and allergic reaction!" I shrieked, beginning to panic, "Oh, god- he's- oh, my god."

Pope's eyes rolled back and he went completely limp, falling to the floor as Kie and Sarah caught him. JJ did his best to cover the cross and I tried to help with my one arm and then we dipped. JJ drove us to his cousins, Ricky, house. Yeah, the cousin who's ambulance he stole the night Rafe nearly killed Sarah and I. Yeah, I wasn't too happy when I found that one out.

Ricky shut the door on JJ, but we refused to take no as an answer. So we began slamming on the door and screaming as loud as we could.

Ricky opened the door back up, "Who can't breathe?"

With one look, he opened the door and we flooded in, clearing a space for him to lay on the counter.

"What happened to him?"

"Wasps."

"Is he allergic to wasps?"

"Clearly!"

"I need my kit- where's my kit?"

Again, another round of screaming as we ran around the house looking for a kit. God, he needs to just stick to selling weed. Ricky found his kit and while he did whatever it was that would save him, I stood back with my eyes wide and leaning into JJ's side. Ricky gave Pope a shot and then he went quiet and stopped moving.

Tears welled up in my eyes as I grabbed JJ's shirt. Tightly. His arms were around me and he was breathing heavily. We couldn't do anything but watch and pray. If this didn't work, then that crosses legend is absolutely horse shit and Limbrey could have it.

"You killed him." Kie said.

Ricky sighed, "No, I-"

"Yes, you did!"

"I didn't do shit."

"What did you do!" She was hysterical.

"I did exactly what you asked me to do."

She began shaking Pope as tears spilled from my eyes. We begged him to wake up, to groan, to do anything that showed he was still alive.

Pope gasped.

"Wait, wait, wait!"

"Pope!"

He leaned up and began coughing.

"There he is!"

"It's hot! I'm real hot, guys." He said.

"Okay, take it easy."

Screw Limbrey, screw her attack dog, and especially screw Rafe. That cross is real and it's ours.

Pope got up, despite us telling him not to and walking outside. We followed him as he started to run around in the yard and I couldn't help but laugh. We may have taken another few steps backwards, but we just took another one forward. I just hoped that the next steps back didn't have to do with one of us nearly dying again.

I stood next to JJ as we watched him run, giddy smiles on our faces.

I looked up at him, "I'm not mad at you, by the way." I bumped my hip with his.

"You aren't?" I shook my head, "Oh, thank god." He pulled me into him and kissed my head.

"LET'S GO GET THAT CROSS! WHOO!" Pope screamed, jumping around like he wasn't dead on a random dudes counter thirty seconds ago. But whatever.

LET'S GET THAT FUCKING CROSS!!