Episode 7 S2. The Bonfire | 14

Julianne Bailey Routledge

That night I stayed in my room. I didn't want to come out. The only thing this island brings is bad luck and grief, and I was sick of it. I stood up, grabbing the nearest bag and beginning to throw my clothes in it. I wanted to get out of here. I want a fresh start somewhere new.

There was a knock on my door and I threw another pair of pants in the bag, "What?"

"Jules? Can I come in?" It was JJ.

"Later. Just let me be."

He sighed, "I'm coming in." He open the door and closed it behind him, furrowing his eyebrows when he saw me, "What're you doing?"

My lip quivered and I looked away from him.

"Jules?"

I finally faced him, biting my lip and tears threatening to spill from my eyes.

"Come 'ere."

He opened his arms for me, which I accepted. I could never resist a JJ hug. He kissed my head and set his chin on me, holding me tighter.

"It's okay. I've got ya."

I sniffled, "God, I hated him, but- but he didn't deserve to die."

Losing a parent is one of the hardest things imaginable and even though Sarah may have hated him, him dying probably hit her really hard. Ward's death brought a lot of feeling out within me. Our dad would never get justice, Peterkin would never get justice, Gavin wouldn't get justice, and Sarah never would either.

Though his death brought some good, it didn't outweigh the bad things. Like him taking the fall for Peterkin's death and Rafe being released from jail. And he was coming for us, no doubt about it.

"I just want things to be normal again."

He pulled away just enough to see my face and gave me a sad smile, "When were things ever normal?"

I couldn't help but laugh, "I guess you're right."

He smiled and stared down at me, "So, what's the bag for?"

My eyes flickered down to the bag at our feet, filled with my clothes and such.

"Oh. That, um-"

"Were you gonna try and, like, leave?"

"I-" I sighed and walked over to the bed, sitting on it and playing with my fingers, "I just.. I'm done living like this here. I mean, Rafe is out of jail. He's going to come for us."

He sat next to me, placing his hand in mine, "We'll deal with him. I'm not gonna let him touch you, Jules."

"I know, but.." I let out a long breath, "I just sometimes wonder what would've happened if I was sent away. Like, foster care on the mainland. John B and I. Things would be so different. You guys could've had normal lives, I mean, Pope would have gotten his scholarship for gods sake. And Sarah wouldn't have had to pick between us and her family. Her dad would still be alive. So many people would still be alive."

JJ placed his hands on my face, "I would probably be getting beaten senselessly by my dad right now if you guys weren't here, or in jail. And Rafe would have snapped at somepoint anyway. I don't think things would have been a good different."

Without hesitation I kissed him, catching him off guard. He responded, but I took it further and climbed on top of him, straddling his lap and kissing down his neck. He didn't let it go on for long before flipping me over, getting on top of me.

"I want you now." I told him between heavy breaths.

He looked up at me, "Now?"

I nodded. He didn't reply, or really do anything.

I leaned up on my elbows, "Do you not?" He hesitated, so I slipped out from under him and stood up, "Right."

He got up after me, "Jules, I-"

"No. It's cool. All good." I smiled at him and quickly looked away, "You should go. It's late."

"No, Jules, let me explain."

"JJ, it's been a long night. I get it. Just let me go to bed, okay?" I just needed to be alone.

---

"Jules, you awake?"

I turned over and faced John B, who was standing in the doorway, "I am now, I guess."

"You wanna go for a drive before everyone wakes up?"

I swung my legs over the bed and followed him out. Morning drives were something that we used to do with dad before, you know.. he was killed. It felt good to be doing this again. Just watching the sun rise with the morning wind hitting our faces.

If only people knew the horror that went on in this quite town. From the looks of it, this life looked like a dream, when really, it was a fucking nightmare.

When we returned we joined the rest of the group on the dock. John B and I laid out on the HMS Pogue, me laying on my back and staring up at the sky. I wish that I could be a fish. All they do is swim around and live freely. But there's also sharks, so maybe I'd be a sea turtle. Yeah, like the one from that fish movie I watched with Sarah one time.

"He deserved it, right?" JJ spoke, breaking me from my train of thought. I almost gave a snarky reply, but I didn't have it in me.

"Are you joking? Of course he deserved it." Kie replied.

Pope shook his head, "I've never seen anyone blow themselves up like that."

JJ whistled, "Cross that one off the bucket list."

"JJ!"

Kie gave him a look and she came and sat in-between me and John.

"Sucks for Sarah." JJ changed his tone and plopped his lure back into the water.

Kie put her arm around John B, "Are you okay?"

He sighed, "It's not me I'm worried about."

There was silence. A long, long silence. The vibe in the air was uncomfortable; I don't want to be here. I stood up, not bothering to say anything as I left. There was nothing left to say.