Episode 8 S2. The Cross | 17

Julianne Bailey Routledge

The next morning we were sat on the back deck while JJ and Pope fooled around, breaking another one of our couches. The forth one, to be exact.

"Really?" I leaned my head back on the armrest. Kie and I were laying in opposite directions on one of said broken couches, the springs digging uncomfortably in my back.

JB scoffed, "You're sleeping there tonight."

"Uh, no I'm not." JJ winked at me and my brother gagged, beginning one of his stupid tangents about how I was his sister and he didn't want to hear about that kind of stuff, while JJ just smirked and ignored him.

Last night, JJ had stayed in my room, which was probably going to become a habit. Not that I minded, though. And before you ask, no, nothing happened. Well, nothing super special. We just laid together and he played with my hair and- I'll shut up now.

I also did some reflecting on Sarah. I guess I had been a little harsh, maybe she wasn't a total bitch. And if Kie wasn't holding anything against her, I shouldn't either. But I had my eye on her. Speaking of Sarah, she waltzed through the screen door.

"Well, hello, Princess." JJ said to her. I couldn't tell if he was actually trying to be nice or if he was pissed off. It's a fifty-fifty.

"Shouldn't you be on Figure Eight with your little group of polo players?" John B asked her, then he added, "Or did you break up with Topper?"

"We're just friends." She said.

"He's just a friend." John repeated with an empty laugh, "You have a lot of friends, Sarah Cameron."

She whipped around to face him, "Yeah, and it seems like you've got some of your own too."

I assumed this was about the girl John B was talking to at the Bonfire. Yeesh. But I will say, showing up with her ex was a bit worse.

"Whatever. I'm here for Pope." She turned to him, "I think I found the island room."

We all sat up straight in our seats and looked at each other. The adventure was back the fuck on.

---

"Guys, listen to this." We spent absolutely no time hopping into the Twinkie and Pope was going off the rails with excitement, "The diary says the cross holds the most holy relic in all of Christendom, the Garment of the Savior."

"So wait, he's saying there's a holy garment inside the cross?" Kie asked.

"Yeah. It says the garment is capable of healing the sick from any malady."

"Mm, yeah." JJ said, then quoting, "'If only I may touch his garment, I shall be made well.'" We all turned to him in confusion, "What? I went to Sunday school."

I nodded at him, "Sure, buddy." He gave me a playful glare, to which I just smiled and pat his shoulder.

"Well, that explains why Limbrey would want the cross so bad. She thinks it will heal her."

"Oh." I spoke, a frown forming on my lips, "That's actually kind of sad."

"Yeah." Kie agreed, "But she could've just been like, 'hey, I know the cross is yours and stuff, but could I just touch it?' You know?"

"I guess."

"What else does it say?"

Pope began reading from the diary, "'Many feel that we have sinned to steal such a sacred thing, and God will strike his vengeance on us.'"

"Thing is, God didn't have his vengeance."

My eyes widened with realization, "He sent a hurricane to sink the ship." The group looked at me and I shrunk down, "Just a theory."