Episode 6 S2. My Druthers | 12

Julianne Bailey Routledge

Topper brought us back to his place on the water and let us sleep there. I didn't sleep, though. Every time I laid my head back, I felt a searing pain. So, I was awake when Topper came back.

"I don't know you, Topper, but thank you. For real. You saved both our lives."

He looked over at Sarah, "Anything for her."

"She pretty lovable, aye?"

He laughed, "Yeah, we'd both know better than anyone."

My face went hard, "Don't get any idea's though. John B's my brother."

He put his hands up, "I know, I got it."

Sarah woke up soon after, "What time is it? We need to go."

"No, you're not going out there when your brother just tried to kill you."

Listen, Topper seemed like an okay dude, but giving her a phone and breakfast in bed was a little much. If he so much as laid a finger on her, I'll be the one bashing his head in. I haven't forgotten about him hitting me in the face with a golf club.

"Top, dude, take us back. Like now."

He agreed, and we were on his boat within the next thirty minutes and pulling up to the gang within the hour.

"Holy fuck is that John B?"

Sarah turned around, "John B?"

Sarah helped me up and over onto the boat, where she embraced John B.

"Look, they're coming after Rafe."

"Good. He's completely unhinged. He jumped us last night. That's why we didn't come back."

I sat down, slow enough to not shake my head, "Almost fucking killed us."

"Yeah, man. Rafe has lost his mind. Literally almost bashed her head in and drowned his own sister." Topper defended us, "Thankfully, I got there just in time."

"Yeah, he did."

"Well.." John trailed off, "I guess I owe you one, Topper, don't I?"

"It's all good. I mean, somebody had to rescue your girlfriend and sister, right?"

"Uh, that's funny because she's not actually my girlfriend, right?"

God, this was not the time for a fight.

"Uh, well, what is she then?"

"Tell him."

"I'm- I'm with him."

Damn.

"Gotcha. You're with him. Okay, yeah. I just, like, needed a little clarity there."

"I think it's clear you gotta go now." JJ set his arm around me and Topper was sent on his way.

"Thanks, bud." I gave him a small wave.

"Come on. Let's go in."