Your wife

It is noon. Sun rays are bright and birds are chirping.
Aubrey was busy with her household work. She heard the phone ringing. Aubrey quickly ran to pick up the phone. Today is only Grandma or Aubrey in the house so she didn't want Grandma to scold her.

"Hello", Aubrey picked up the phone.
"Hello, Aubrey I am John." The sound from the other side. Aubrey instantly recognizes the voice. It is john who is Evan's diver.
"Yes, John? "Aubrey asked as she was confused why John called.
"Aubrey, Mr. Evan has left his meeting file at home, can you give him that file in the office?" John pleaded with Aubrey.
"But John how can I give? " Aubrey hesitatingly answered john's plea, Aubrey has never been to Evan's office before. Aubrey was ready to decline John's plea. She becomes nervous, She bit her lower lip.
"Aubrey, Please, I am outside, And there is so much traffic, it will take time. The meeting is very important, please, give it to Mr.Evan " John was begging Aubrey.
Aubrey does not know whether she should go or not. If the meeting turns out to be important as Evan will suffer a loss or John may even be fired. Most she is scared of Evan, She knows that Evan will be angry if he sees her in his's office. Still, Aubrey can not let John lose his job, He always treated her so well. Aubrey told John that she would give the file to Evan.
Aubrey wear out to be her prettiest dress and did a bit of makeup too. She wore a yellow knee-length dress that suit her white skin, She let my brown silky hair open, and they were touching her waist. Aubrey sees herself in the mirror if She looks okay or not. Because She doesn't want to embarrass Evan in front of everyone.
Aubrey always travels by public transport so she thought of taking public transport but She would be late so she take a taxi.
When Aubrey reached Cooper's Enterprise building. She raised her neck and saw the 60-floor building. The rays of the sun were making that glasses building shine. Aubrey felt pain in her neck, then She moved her neck down, it was so big that she had to lift her neck completely. Aubrey went inside the building which was made of glass. Everyone looks elite. Aubrey becomes more anxious than earlier. But take a deep breath in and out, Take a step forward, and reached the reception. The woman who was sitting in reception had put on a lot of make-up as they come out of salons, and all of the receptionists seemed very educated, Aubrey clenched her dress as Aubrey was feeling inferior.
"Hello. who do you want to meet?" The receptionist asked her dryly. The receptionist has an arrogant smirk on her face as if she was trying to look down on Aubrey.
"Hello, can I meet Mr. Evan Cooper?" Aubrey nervously asked her.
"Do you have an appointment? " she inquired, And start doing other work as she is not interested to deal with Aubrey.
"No," Aubrey didn't know, She have to take an appointment before meeting Evan who is the Director of Cooper Enterprise. The receptionist looked at Aubrey and smiled at her.
"you can't meet him," The receptionist told me.
"But I have to give him something important." Aubrey tries to convince her.
"I said no, you can't meet him. You know how many people like you come here to Mr. Cooper every day," The receptionist getting annoyed.
"Please tell Mr. Cooper, that Aubrey has come to meet him, he will surely allow me to meet him," Aubrey attempted again.
"Sorry, you have to make an appointment" the receptionist determined to not let her meet Mr. Cooper.
"Please, It is an important thing, I have to give him," Aubrey pleads but in the end, Aubrey raises her voice. Everyone stops doing their work and looks at us.
"Excuse me miss, Don't force me to call the Bodyguard and threw you out of the office" the receptionist looked around and get pissed off.
Aubrey is determined to meet Evan, Aubrey was about to say something but stops when she hears a familiar voice. her whole body shivers.
"What going on here?"
The receptionist stands her to their seat and nervously greets her boss.
Aubrey tries to calm her heartbeat when she hears the voice. Aubrey slowly turns and looked at Evan who was standing behind her. With Evan two other gentlemen also standing. Evan was looking at her in astonishment.
"Sir, She doesn't have an appointment and asking to meet you." The receptionist said while trembling because this is the first time she talk to her boss.
"Why didn't you inform me?" Evan didn't leave his gaze on Aubrey and asked the receptionist in his authoritative voice.
"I am sorry, sir" The receptionist apologize.
"Apologize to her and Remember her face, If she comes again directly send her to my office," Evan said to the receptionist while staring at Aubrey. When Aubrey hear this she looked at Evan.
"Yes, Sir. Sorry, Ma'am" The receptionist apologize and nodded at Evan.
"let's go," Evan said to Aubrey.
Evan walks toward his office and Aubrey follows him, They reached Evan's office.
Aubrey was surprised to see such a big office with a big glass window, you can see the whole city through such a big glass window. She had never seen something so amazing in the office in her life.
Evan sits in his chair. He gestures for Aubrey to sit down.
"Why did you come here?" He asked her while Adjusting his suit, Aubrey settle in front of him. She didn't say anything instead She takes out the file and gives it to him.
"You are here to give me the file?" Evan asked, Aubrey, nodded at him.
Evan starts examining the file. Aubrey thinks her job is complete so she stands up from her seat and is about to leave.
"Did I tell you to leave? This is my office People come here on their own accord, they leave on my accord." He said putting his elbows on the table and keeping his hands under his chin.
Aubrey didn't know what to do. Evan stands up from his chair and comes near her. Evan stand front of her as was hovering over her. Aubrey lowered her head. This is the first time that they are together alone.
"You do not have a mouth, Answer me when I asked you something. why didn't you say at the reception that you are my wife?"
Aubrey raised her head and looked at him. This is the first time he has considered her as his wife. Aubrey took a deep breath and said.
"Wife, For the first time in these three years, my husband has called me his wife. How can I go and tell anyone that you are my husband? I have self-esteem, I know my husband didn't recognize me as his wife" Aubrey said while her eyes tearing up. She looked at Evan who didn't change his expression.
"I am amazed to know that you remember that we were married, I had doubts that you must have forgotten years ago that you are married," She told, Couldn't control her tear and let them flow.
Evan sighed and said, "We didn't marry in love, I told you on the wedding day that does not expect anything from me. This marriage is just a contract, even though I did not fulfill the duty of being a husband, I have always respected our marriage."
Indeed, Evan may not be a good husband, but he has never insulted Aubrey and their marriage.
They hear the door knock. Evan's secretary comes to inform Evan about his meeting. Evan nodded at him. Evan gets up from his chair.
"Did Grandma know you are outside?" Evan asked while wiping the furrows on his suit. She shakes my head in no.
"I will ask John to send you home," He announced.
"I will go on my own," Aubrey said not looking at Evan.
"If grandma knows, you are outside, you know better than anyone what will happen," Evan warned her.
"I don't need your concern, I can go by myself" She did not listen to him.
"Aubrey, I told you, you will go with John. I don't like people going against my decision" Evan said, He treated her like some stubborn child, He helplessly shake his head and left the office.
Aubrey looks at his leaving figure, It is the first time he called her by her name. Aubrey even thought maybe he forget about her name.
Aubrey leaves the office and takes the lift. Aubrey looked at the woman who was standing beside her in a lift. She looked at their figure in the mirror, She is wearing a simple dress, and the woman standing next to her wearing a tight short skirt and shirt with high heels. She smells like a rich fragrance. If she is working in Cooper Enterprise She must Highly be educated, Aubrey thought.
"Here, you think Evan will accept you as his wife when he works with more beautiful girls than you," She muttered with a little smile on her face.
She always knows the class difference between Evan and her. but today She faces the reality between them.
*****
John thanks Aubrey and takes her home. As soon as she enters the house she hears Mrs.jane's voice.
"Look, who comes, mom? Our ma'am and your granddaughter-in-law. It does not seem necessary to her telling anyone before going outside. It seems that she is not our servant, we are her servant, who waits for when the madam will come and when will we get food." Mrs.Jane yells.
"Mom, You have given complete freedom to her from everything. You were worrying that where your granddaughter-in-law was going outside who doesn't know about the world outside of the house, but see that your granddaughter-in-law is going out for enjoyment." Mrs. Jane accused, Aubrey's head down and listened to Mrs.Jane.
"Where were you, Aubrey? why you didn't tell anyone before going out.?" Grandma asked her in a calm voice.
"Tha-That Gran-Grandma" She could not complete her sentence before Mrs. Jane slapped her. Aubrey holds her cheek with her hand and tears come out of her eyes.
"Jane, let her finish her sentence" Grandma shouts at Mrs.Jane.
"Aubrey, tell me where did you go?" Grandma inquired her again.
"J-john c-called a-and a-asked to b-bring f-file to Mr.E-Evan...I G-go t-there to G-give file." Aubrey said in her hiccups while sobbing.
When She told them Grandma glared at Mrs.jane. Mrs.jane down her head as she know she made mistake.
"Aubrey goes to your room and freshen up," Grandma told Aubrey.
Aubrey run to her room and closed the door She sit near the door and start crying. Grandma is not worried about her, she is just worried that Aubrey tell anyone that She is their wife of Evan. They never tell anyone that Evan is married. They restricted Aubrey from going outside because they were afraid If she tells anyone that she is the wife of Evan.
She doesn't have family or friends. She doesn't know anyone outside cooper's household how can she tell outsiders anything? That is the reason her mother was determined to her marriage.