f i f t y e i g h t

Start from the beginning

Curiosity got the best of her. She knew her brother always exchange letters with his friends outside the country but after one month of living here, she had never seen a letter from Gracine. The wax stamp was too familiar for her that she couldn't help but to read.

As soon as she opened it, she found her name.

To Princess Eunkyung, the princess of Eirene. I hope this letter finds you well.

"Prince Hyunjin's handwriting." she confirmed.

The purpose of writing this letter is to inform the current situation in our kingdom, Kingdom of Gracine. We have been doing well since the last time we met. The royal family and the people are in a great condition. All thanks to Eirene and our other alliances for lending hands. However, a protest has been going on in the palace since last week after the king of Kingdom of Eirene sent us a news. A news of exiling Han Jisung to our country.

We have come to an understanding that Han Jisung is the cause of your kingdom's misery. I, Prince Hyunjin, also received news that you, Princess Eunkyung, are out of the country after the murder cases was settled. Hence, this letter. 

The issue of exiling Han Jisung to our country will be resolved soon, but I remembered he was your friend before the conflict broke out. I am not coming to Eirene before a year, yet I want to make sure you are doing well, Princess Eunkyung. Things might be hard for you now, even though if Han Jisung is no longer a person in your heart. However I advise you to meet him for the last time because I, myself do not know what will happen when he arrives here.

Kingdom of Gracine expects peace from every sides. We do not tolerate any violence or they will be executed, the reason why Han Jisung's arrival could be a danger to us. As long as he keeps his sword to himself, we will not take any actions. The king almost cut ties with Eirene but we also received some information about his family in our country. We agreed to let him in but he cannot expect warm greetings from us. In short, his life here is not guaranteed safe if the people know what he had done back in Eirene

I suppose that's all I have to say. I, Prince Hyunjin, wish you are in a great condition along with your family and your people. See you in one year, Princess Eunkyung.

Sincerely, Hyunjin.

"What..."

"What a fancy letter... and a serious one."

Eunkyung turned her head to the side to see Jeongin peeking from behind. The guy took the letter and sat next to her. He reread it all over again. "They are exiling Han Jisung? Your childhood friend?"

"I just know you did not say that he is a friend."

Jeongin stifled a laugh. He offered the princess a tea. The evening was bright and sunny. It's their favourite to sit outside in the garden and have some warm drinks. 

"What are you going to do?" Jeongin asked after a moment of silence. He knew well the story between her and Jisung, and he was curious what would be Eunkyung's decision after this.

To his disappointment, the girl said, "Do nothing?"

"I mean," he sighed and presented the letter in front of her. "Are you not sending him away?"

"That just makes separation harder, Jeongin." the girl slumped her shoulders, finally the emotion got to her. She was speechless when reading the news and to say she was worried when Jisung arrives there was an understatement. The fact that they were once friends made her want to pray for his safety even though he was a danger to her.