o n e

"Missed!"

Another swing.

"Again, missed! Step up the game, Han!"

The boy panted, tightening his grip on the sword and his eyes pierced into mine as if he could scare me off. My lips curled up under the mask.

This is fun, fighting with Han has always been fun but today it looked like he's worn out from the beginning yet still wants to act like the strongest tiger out there. I'm sorry for him because they have this tigress too.

Han took small steps towards me and launched. His sword was near to chop my head off but I managed to block it with mine and was thrown back. To maintain the composure I swiftly jumped and landed on my legs with my body staying low and a hand stopping me from moving further. He ran again, seeing this opportunity to eliminate me off this circle.

"Wrong move, Han! Wrong move!"

He didn't listen. At this moment something ticked off my mind. If the teacher says it's a wrong move then he must have stopped. Even everyone knows this is the wrong one to attack. Running from the front in a long-distance at that speed only gives the opponents the chance to regain their consciousness and they could stab him right in the stomach.

As he was nearing me I brought my sword forward, attempting to stop him but he suddenly jumped with his sword held high on his head. I didn't get to move when he attacked me in one swing. We ended up rolling down on the peanut ground but he was in control. He pinned me down with the end of the sword pointing to my chest, panting heavily.

Boy seems to be going through some hard times.

His breathing was too heavy.

The surrounding was too quiet before the teacher clapped his hand twice. "Good, I didn't expect that."

With his eyes still dipped inside mine Han spoke, "That's the basic, what did you expect from me when I run into you like that?"

"Too cocky for being the first-time winner I see." I replied. He scoffed and held out his hand which I gladly took and got up.

The teacher dismissed us. I threw a water bottle at Han and he caught it. No thank you, no sarcastic remarks about my throw like he usually does.

Looks like I'm gonna keep assuming what he had gone through today.

The other students of the class scattered away. Some of them stayed in the woods within the firewood, some returned to their home. It would be great if I can stay here too because there's nothing I could do in my room.

I tightened the mouth veil against my mouth. It did a good job again today. I owe this thing for keeping me safe until now.

"Kyra," Han's voice brought me back. "Are you returning too?"

I nodded, lifting up my hood over my head. "But before that, tell me what happened."

He paused, "What?"

"You looked a little bit energetic today which is so unusual for a Han to act like that."

In the dark woods I could see him rolling his eyes. "Guess this Han is improving day by day. He's tired of getting bullied by that old bald man as if he's everything good."

A light giggle escaped my lips. I reached for my bottle and followed him out of the woods. It's already midnight but being in the royal territory has its own perks. There's no one going to invade and attack out of sudden so we are safe here.

At least what they thought because I still don't feel safe. My heart's just doing its best not to show concern towards my parents because they will convince me that it's safe eventually. I'm just going to keep this to myself.

We walked past the field. I took in a deep breath as the night breeze slapped softly on my cheeks, gently embracing me in the coldness. I smiled behind the veil. This is what I needed everyday.

We reached Han's house a few minutes later. The walk was too quiet, there's definitely something going on but it's not my place to interrogate so I let him be, giving him a space to think.

"Are you sure you're gonna be home safe?" his face was slightly showing concern.

"You ask that everyday, Han."

"Just want to make sure, Min."

If one of my family members heard that they would have given him questioning looks and some lessons for calling me by my first name.

He gave me a taunting look, expecting me to get mad but I didn't. Tell me how I get mad at this guy who has been my best friend since I was nine just because he calls me that? And that little smirk played on his lips depicted a naughty squirrel who just stole an acorn from raccoons.

I shook my head lightly, "If you need anything just call me. You looked like you really wanted to kill me earlier."

"Oh, that," he rubbed his nape and gave me a sheepish smile. "I'm sorry."

"It's alright, just don't keep it to yourself." I presented my fist in front of him. He softly smiled and bumped his fist with mine.

"Get home safe."

"As if I have never."

"Still, the princess needs to be guarded all the time, not roaming around at night." I playfully rolled my eyes at his remark. "Goodnight Eun."

I hummed, waving lightly and walked away. His house was not that far from the castle. It just took a two minutes walk— too near to each other.

The guards at the entrance bowed when I came. I stopped in front of one of them, "Did anyone ask anything?"

"No, Her Royal Highness."

I smiled, "Thank you, I appreciate that."

He bowed with a hand pressed onto his stomach. I left them and went straight to the garden. It was a bit dark but that's what I wanted it to be. It's a mini garden for the royal gardeners to rest after working. They separated it from the main one to give them some privacy. Let's say that this Kingdom is actually doing pretty well. They treated the royal workers just like their family.

Looking around, I pushed one of the dark grey bricks. It made a soft click sound. Seconds after a small part of the wall moved, sliding to the side like some sort of a door. The pathway inside immediately lit up with the wooden torches attached to the wall.

When I walked in the wall moved again to close it.

Sometimes I wonder why our rooms were placed on the third floor. It tires me to climb the steps in this small space.

However it didn't take a long time to reach my room. I pushed one of the bricks again. The door opened. Carefully, I peeked my head in and looked to the left and right.

There's no one.

I'm safe again today.

A proud smile made its way to my face. I locked the door and tore the veil off my face. It got me a bit sweaty but worth it.

I pulled down my hood and discarded the black outfit, leaving me in the arrow proof suit. It hugged my body tightly. Everytime I see it I can't help but cringe. The only reason I liked wearing dresses was because it did not show my body shape to the public.

I hate it when people see my body shape. It makes me feel insecure.

The hairband fell from my hair, releasing the long trapped thousands strands of hair.

I want to cut off my hair so bad.

The bed looked so inviting but a shower is needed. I groaned loudly as I reached the towel that was prepared on the rack and made lazy steps to the bathroom.

Why am I born as a royal?