56

She kissed him goodnight.

And that was that.

She walked into her bedroom and closed the door behind her, she didn't invite him in or ask if he needed anything before they went to bed. She didn't even spare him a glance when she left him in that picture covered hallway.

He waited in the hallway for no reason in particular. Cheeks still red from the wind, his coat still covered in snow flurries. He was cold but it didn't bother him in the minutes he waited outside her door. He felt terrible for making her feel this way.

She was shutting him out and he didn't blame her. He wanted to apologize to her for pressuring her and making her feel like it was now or never.

Two minutes passed and shuffling could be heard from beyond her door, footsteps bobbing in the buttery light.

Four minutes passed and the water could be heard running from her bathroom.

He still waited, watching the snow fall, pulling off pieces of lint from his coat, anything to occupy his hands as his stomach twisted sourly.

Six minutes passed and she was heading for the door, footsteps again bobbing in the light. His breath clenched in his chest, waiting for her to open the doors, but what would he say?-

He straightened his clothes, leaning against the wall to make it seem like he was waiting for his date to open the door before they went out to dinner- or whatever the hell it was that muggles did on dates.

Then the light flickered off.

His breathing went even once again, his body slumping against the wall.

You fucking donut of course she doesn't want to be around you. I don't even wanna be around you.

With heavy feet he went into his own room, kicking his shoes off and throwing his coat across the room. The hefty buttons of the coat hit the wall with a loud dink.

Surely, he thought, she heard that, it probably startled her.

So to get her attention he started being as loud as possible, knocking things over, throwing clothes at the wall that they shared.

It was loud enough for her to hear, he knew that, but she didn't knock on his door or barge in to ask what all the commotion was. So he resorted to silence. It wasn't to get her attention at the quiet aftermath of his ruckus, it was simply to collect his thoughts.

What had he been thinking? Out of all the Goddamn things why did her have to ask her about having sex with him? He had been stupid to think she would say yes- especially since they were so young.

She hadn't said anything to him since she had told him that she could walk down the three hundred steps on her own. They walked in silence down the many stairs until he noticed her legs wobble and the stiffer she seemed to become. He could easily tell she was struggling and fighting to get down the rest of the stairs just so he wouldn't have to carry her, so she didn't have to be near him.

He offered to carry her again saying he didn't mind. She just shook her head, denying his offer. Then he asked another time, grabbing onto her wrist and telling her he'd gladly carry her the rest of the way if she wanted. She denied him again.

She didn't want to be around him, he knew that.

The ride home was the same silence she secretly promised herself to keep. He'd held her hand in the car, a simple gesture between them, she didn't seem to care as she did hold his hand as they walked through the chateau.