38

"Alright do we have everyone here?" Professor Grubbly-Plank barked. "Good, let's get a move on then. Now, who can tell me what these things are called?"

Right as she gestured to the pile of thin twigs by her side several of them shot up into the air with glittering black eyes. Professor Grubbly-Plank quickly reached into a small brown pouch then pulled out a handful of rice.

She sprinkled it over the forest floor, all the twig-like figures shooting to the floor to dig into the rice.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Bowtruckles. Most of the time they live in wand trees . . ."

"Yes, very good Miss Granger. Five points for Gryffindor."

"Does anybody know what they eat?"

Faris's hand shot in the air, pursing her lips together, she stood on her tippy toes from the back of the class.

"Yes, you in the back."

"Woodlice." Faris paused, "or fairy eggs if they can get to them."

"Five points to Slytherin . . . Now as a use of defense, Bowtruckles will gouge out the predator's eyes with their hands-which if you can tell are very sharp. Now for your assignment, I require you all by the end of the period to have drawn and labeled the body of a bowtruckle."

Parvati Patil, a dark-haired girl, with a sour face and large eyes, spoke up with a sing-song tone in her voice, "erm, how are we supposed to do that when they could possibly gouge-"

"Right, now each of you take a little bit of the woodlice and you should be good to get to work. I will allow you to work in pairs for this assignment. . . Well, get on with it! We don't have all day."

Faris took a handful of rice then proceeded to feed a bowtruckle while taking notes.

Draco had occupied himself by taunting Potter, he leaned over towards him then whispering with a smirk "I bet that oaf friend of yours got himself badly injured, probably from handling things that are . . . oversized possibly?"

"Sod off Malfoy," Harry spat.

Draco sniggered, heading over to Faris wrapping his arms around her waist. "Need some help?" Draco asked.

"I'm good, thanks." Faris smiled, "You okay? You're looking a little tired this morning."

"Yeah, I'm okay. Are you coming to the Slytherin party tonight?"

Faris shrugged, "I don't know. They aren't really my thing."

"That's okay I was just wondering."

Draco helped her label the drawing and finish her other assignments for the rest of the class period.

~*~

Faris was alone in her dorm, the room vibrating from the loud music. Trying to focus on her homework.

Tapping her quill impatiently on her book she heard a loud crash come from the common room startling her. She knew if she went down to the common room to see the party she wouldn't feel safe or secure with all the drunken teenagers strolling and dancing around the room.

The common room was the last place she wanted to be at the moment, all the teenagers throwing up from their intake of alcohol, students hysterically laughing or passed out on the couch.

But she couldn't help but be curious.

She'd been to several parties in her lifetime, none of them being amazing experiences. She had always enjoyed the parties her parents had, but that was because her favorite aunt would be there and they would excuse themselves from the party and play hide and seek around the chateau.