Chapter 47: Heroes Always Come Home

Start from the beginning

"And dinner" Grace added, nudging him playfully.

Jake chuckled. "And dinner."

The two chuckled together. Serena smiled brightly seeing the two interact.

"We actually have you to thank Serena" Grace said.

"Me? How so?" Serena asked.

"Seeing you and Ash together made me remember how happy I was when Jake and I were still together, and how much I missed him."

Serena smiled warmly. She embraced her parents, who accepted the embrace. The three held each other as Serena let out a couple tears.

Ash saw this and smiled. But it was partially a sad smile. He decided to get some air before he went to bed. He walked out to the porch and leaned on the railing. He just stared ahead, not looking at anything in particular. It took him a minute to realize he was crying. He suddenly heard footsteps getting louder. He turned around to see Ninetails walking up to him.

"Hey sweetie, everything alright?" Ash asked his daughter.

"For me yes, but I'm not so sure about you."

Ash turned his head forward again.

"That might be true" he said with a chuckle.

"...it is true isn't it" Ninetails said in a serious tone.

Ash sighed. "Am I that obvious?"

"Not really, but to me you are."

"How so?"

Ninetails looked down in sadness.

"I...wanted to say this to you while you were still in the hospital, but you didn't want to see anybody, so I never got the chance."

Ash felt guilty hearing this. "I'm sorry Ninetails...I regret how I acted back then..."

"...it's alright. Cause, I understood completely." She looked at Ash again. "I wanted to tell you...that I knew exactly what you were going through. And that I was the only one too."

Ash looked at her with intrigue. He looked away again with sadness. "How would you..."

"...you're not the only one...who's mother died in front of them..."

Ash's eyes slowly widened. He looked at her again. Ninetails had her head down.

"You're not the only one...who blamed themselves, and felt like they failed them..."

Ninetails was about to cry, but suddenly felt Ash hug her.

"I'm sorry...I should've let you talk to me back then..."

Ninetails sadly smiled. "I told you didn't I dad? I understood why..."

The two held each other close for another minute before separating. They both decided to enjoy the night sky for another couple minutes before heading back inside.

Everyone soon went to bed. Serena held Ash in a loving embrace, making sure he fell asleep first.

"Good night Serena" Ash said tiredly.

"Good night Ashy" she whispered.

The two fell asleep soon after.

It was around 3am when Serena was woken up by the sound of someone sobbing. She checked and sure enough Ash was crying.

"Shh, it's okay Ash, I'm right here" she said as she held him close.

"I-I'm sorry Serena, I-I thought I was o-over this..." he said through his tears.