Chapter 11

Rudraksh

I watched her running away from me when I finally opened the suite door. The jacket fell off her shoulder in the middle of the corridor. She ran barefoot clutching the cell phone tightly in her cold palms in the direction of the lift. 

Poor girl didn't even know that I had the control of calling the lift to that particular floor. Her trembling fingers kept on hitting the button to call the lift. But the mechanical voice only irritated her. 

"This is a restricted floor..." The auto voice mechanism kept on telling her that she had stepped in a specific area where my permission was something that was required.

Like a frightened rabbit, she turned her head and tried to figure out whether I was on the way to reach her or not. Moving her head again she tried to find another way to escape the floor. The emergency fire exit that was supposed to be the staircase also required access to open the door. Frustrated like a child she banged her fist on the lift door while murmuring numerous slags or words probably in Spanish.

"Mierda... Por qué no se abre.  Oh, Dios.  Porfavor abre la puerta."

(Shit ... Why it is not opening? Oh, God. Please open the door.)

I took some slow but steady steps while coming out from the corner and picked up the jacket from the floor that she had dropped in a hurry. Grabbing them all together I walked up to the end of the corridor and stood silently behind her. She was so engrossed in pushing the buttons, that my presence got ignored fully until I cleared my throat to grab her attention. 

Hearing the sound she jolted at her place and turned her around me. A loud gasp left her mouth followed by a curse again in Spanish. The girl always forgot English in the most crucial situation. I was wondering how she could understand the culture we have or the languages from various parts of our country.

"Let me help you...." I spoke keeping my voice at a minimal level. But she stepped back and ended up hitting her back on the elevator's door. The touch of the cold metal gave her goosebumps that came prominently on her skin. A pale whitish layer or color spread across her face and I couldn't help but laugh inwardly keeping a straight face in reality. 

"No...." She nodded her head in denial thinking that I might do something inappropriate again. I raised the jacket and dropped that on her shoulder taking another step closer to her. The distance decreased and her breathing ragged. My fingers reached the sensor to press the button and when it finally granted access the door opened. 

Her body almost fell back due to the imbalance she received. As she was pressing her back tight on the door frame, the sudden opening of that, made a toll on her. 

Her hand came forward to clutch something and it was just my shirt that was in her reach. Upon failing to clutch that she tried to grab something to make herself stand from falling and I extended my hand at her. 

"Oh no... Ayuda" (Oh No.... Help....) 

A shriek left her mouth when she found herself leaning at a forty-five-degree angle holding my palm with one hand and the jacket on her shoulder with the other one. 

"Relax...." I gave her assurance and clutch her palm tight from making her fall to the ground. With a soft tug, I pulled her straight to her feet and made her stand perfectly with balance. But her palm lingered in my hand. She was scared to leave the touch feeling insecure in the same way. 

I pushed her a little to make her walk backward inside the elevator and gave her the confirmation. Her eyes widened when she realized she was inside the elevator and only our hands were stretching in between the door. Getting her stance back she jerked away my hand and immediately pressed the button of the desired floor she wanted to step in.