Promises of Tomorrow

Start from the beginning

When she wasn't scheming ways to undermine her own case, Tasha was busy researching Maddox and Walsh for any connection between the two.

She was frustrated that she couldn't bounce ideas off Data or spend the night snuggled together on the sofa doing research together.

They were always better as a team.

"T, we should get moving," Riker said.

"Right," Tasha agreed.

-X-

Phillipa Louvois's gavel slammed down against the block on the surface of her table.

"This hearing, convened on stardate 42527.4, is to determine the legal status of the android known as Data," Louvois announced. "The office of the Judge Advocate General has rendered a finding of property. The defence has challenged."

As the JAG office was not yet complete, they were assembled in the conference room of Starbase 173. The Operations team on base had worked overnight to arrange tables for Louvois, the prosecution team, the defence, and a witness stand.

There was also seating for a limited number of spectators – but there was additional space above in a balcony that encircled the conference chamber.

Typically this room was employed for diplomatic functions and the balcony was where public spectators and media could observe the events below.

But there was no media today.

Tasha suspected Starfleet was doing everything they could to keep this case from reaching the eyes and ears of a wider audience.

In this case, the balcony was packed with people from the Enterprise that had turned out in support of Data.

"We'll begin opening arguments," Louvois stated.

She turned to Commander Riker and motioned for him to proceed.

"Your honour," Riker nodded.

He rose from his seat to address the bench.

"Starfleet has rendered a finding of property. In 2337, Data was discovered by Starfleet personnel from the USS Tripoli," Riker said. "Data was discovered by Starfleet. And for the last twenty-seven years, Data has been in the service of Starfleet."

Commander Riker was very careful to always refer to Data by name. It was a compromise they had reached with Haffley and Maddox.

Both Maddox and Haffley had insisted that they refer to Data as 'it' rather than 'he.' They felt that to ascribe pronouns to Data only reinforced his case for personhood.

They wanted to strip Data of everything – including his identity.

Commander Riker and Tasha had been mortified. They had outright refused to cooperate with that plan. But Haffley and Maddox had far too much power. With Admiral Henry backing them, there had been a terse conversation on an emergency subspace channel in which Henry had reminded them of their duty.

So Will and Tasha had reluctantly proposed a compromise. They would always refer to Data by his name.

"Unless you plan to strip him of that too?" Tasha had asked in an icy tone.

"By his own admission, Data is a machine," Riker went on. "And the recent discovery of a second android identical to Data resulted in the near annihilation of the Flagship."

Picard had anticipated this would be their primary argument.

Security. He thought bitterly.

The very word left a sour taste in his mouth.