Chapter 8

"Talking"
'Thought'
*Time/Location*

*Old Man Rom's Shack*

What Subaru expected to be Elsa turned out be the silver haired elf girl. For Subaru and everyone else they don't know her true name. But for Hijiri, he knows.

'Satella': "I'm glad you're here. You won't get away this time."

Subaru: 'Why is she here? It's still light out. Wait, is this how early she would've gotten here if she hadn't been with me?'

Felt backs away from her.

Felt" "You never quit, do you? I'm telling you, just give up already!"

'Satella':  "Sorry, but this is something I cannot give up on. If you do as I say, I won't hurt you."

The girl raises her arm, conjuring ice shards around her.

'Satella': "I have only one demand. Return my insignia. It's very important to me."

Rom: "If she were just another magic user, I wouldn't back down, but this one's trouble."

Felt: "What's with you, Old Man Rom? You're admitting defeat before we even fight?"

Rom: "Young lady, you're an elf, ain't ya?"

The girl sighs as she hears this.

Half-elf girl: "Not exactly. I'm only a half-elf."

Felt: "A half-elf? And with silver hair... Wait, are you..."

Half-elf girl: "It's an accidental resemblance! It causes a lot of trouble for me, in fact."

Hijiri laughs. Everyone turned at him.

Hijiri: "You're still as gullible as ever."

The girl looks at him and blinks twice. But then she recognizes him.

Half-elf girl: "Eh? Hijiri-san? What are you doing here?"

Hijiri: "Well, I'm kind of helping this guy."

Hijiri pointed his finger at Subaru. Felt ignored them as she focused her attention on Subaru.

Felt: "You set me up, didn't you?"

Subaru: "Huh? No, I didn't do anything..."

Felt: "I thought you were suspicious after you said you'd return it to its owner!"

Half-elf girl: "What do you mean? You two aren't working together?"

Subaru shifts his gaze back and forth between Felt and the girl. Then he stares at the green crystal at her neck.

Subaru: 'Her nature never changes, no matter how many times I start over in this world.'

Subaru closes his eyes as he chuckled.

Felt: "Hey! What are you laughing about?!"

Subaru: "Come on, isn't that enough? Give her insignia back. And Sat- you, hurry up and get out of here. Try not to let anyone steal it again."

Half-elf girl: "Why are you suddenly being so nice? I don't understand at all."

Felt: "I don't understand you, either! What's up with you?"

Subaru and Hijiri sees a person with a blade approaching from behind the girl with silver hair.

Subaru: "Puck! Shield her!"

Elsa who was about to slash at the girl was blocked by a barrier of ice. And Hijiri, who had immediately summoned his bow, pulled its string and blasted a lightning-fast magical arrow of light at Elsa who quickly dodged the arrow. The arrow shined a very bright light as it revealed Elsa.