34: Peace Offering

Start from the beginning

Namjoon gripped his gun, his shoulders stiff as his leg jumped. He hesitantly opened his mouth, seemingly giving in to something his mind was pushing him to do, "I've never seen someone defy death so many times like Mara has," Namjoon sternly spoke, eyeing the two before him, "She's clearly not dying anytime soon."

Jimin was speechless at the (nice?) things Namjoon was saying. Not only was it odd for him to speak in Mara's favor after wanting her out of camp for her entire stay, but he seemed to be genuine. He stared at Namjoon to try and figure him out, but the older only raised a quizzical brow, "What?"

Jungkook's lips twitched up, but at the sight of the freaks that closed in, his smugness faded, "Listen, if we want to lead them away, we gotta do it now. We'll make it safe for them to exit the cave and when they make it back it'll be clear."

Jimin hesitantly agreed, and the three moved in tandem, abandoning the entrance of the cave where Yoongi and Mara were held captive.

Mara didn't stare too long, but the images of the seraph being torn apart limb by limb had been burned into her memory. Despite that being a gruesome sight, what she was met with had her blood running cold. It was a massacre, absolutely chaos unfolding inside the cave. Screams of agony and torture echoed inside the walls, truly resembling an inferno more than ever before. The savages had met their untimely doom as several freaks dug their teeth into the necks and stomachs, ridding them of blood soaked organs and leaving them to rot in their misery for however long they remained alive, only to inevitably turn into the very thing that killed them. Dark liquid pooled on the ground, the blood reaching Mara's boots and leaving behind a trail as she slipped through the busied freaks.

Mara couldn't breath, she was hyperventilating. After going through such a traumatic experience, the girl wanted nothing more than to curl up in a ball and silence the cacophonous cries of a dying world. She was met with the opposite, and nothing could've quite prepared her for the life she'd live at the young age of twenty.

Mara came to her senses when hearing a familiar cry, her eyes landing on Yoongi, who was still bound to the makeshift cross. He kicked the jaws of a freak that crawled towards him, handicapped by the missing legs that sat abandoned several feet away. The other freaks seemed to be too busy to notice Yoongi, and Mara felt alleviated that despite the chaos, he was still alive.  His shoulders sagged in relief when he finally saw her, and she quickly approached, dispatching the freak before releasing him from his bondage. She could see the fear in his eyes, but it was a mutual look they both shared. Without hesitation, Yoongi firmly held her hand, his chest rising and falling heavily.

"You okay?" Mara rushed out.

"Y-Yeah," Yoongi mumbled. 

"Laura! You know me! It's me!" A man cried from a distance. The two turned their heads to a man who backed up into the wall, a freak advancing on him in rags like him. It stumbled forward, one arm hanging by a threat after most of the muscle had been chewed off. The man's glossy eyes and trembling lips begged for mercy from someone he knew, from someone who was now dead and gone, with only one sole purpose remaining—to tear his flesh off and satisfy the endless craving.

As Mara dragged both her and Yoongi up the stairs, they could only spare a glance at the damned cave as they left it behind. Some of the members of the cult had managed to escape through the tunnel's entrance, forsaking the others that were eaten alive. A group once tied together by a fraying belief had been torn apart so easily. It was every man for himself now, but could anybody blame them?

Once they surfaced, a gust of wind blew into their sweaty bodies, both only momentarily relieved. It was then that Mara realized they were both shirtless. With embarrassment she placed one arm over her body, awkwardly glancing at Yoongi. He looked her in the eyes, gaze never wandering any lower than her face.  Both stepped over the bodies laying in the bodies blocking the exit, and Mara looked down at the bodies with mixed feelings. The bullet holes had run dry of blood, and though Mara didn't like it, it had to be done. Mara looked for the three that were supposed to wait for them. When only coming across a swarm of freaks, Mara's hope slightly diminished. Mara began pulling them towards the direction of the camp, but before she could make it a few steps forward, a hand tangled itself in her hair. She was grabbed forcefully, dragged back to the ground and painfully onto her back.