Chapter 69 | no words needed

Start from the beginning

"How about we don't bring out the gold metallic booty shorts this year" you joked.

"HONEY I can't NOT break them out. It's tradition since the playground pole dancing four years ago" he replied, already slightly tipsy.

You sighed and laughed to yourself, L have you a confused but very amused look. From all the little details he'd heard about these Halloween parties, he was in for one hell of a night.

"Long story" you snickered.

L just giggled and rolled his eyes, expecting another strange story from you later on now. You seemed to have a lot of those.

Finishing up the cake, you moved to presents. Rosie had made her own card, with her own birthday art on the cover for L. Although it wasn't addressed to L, it was addressed to dad. Every time Rosie called him dad, L felt life he'd succeeded in life. She got him (well you bought it since you have money, but it was on her behalf) a book she found while out shopping with you one day, and upon seeing the title she knew L would love it.

The history of cake.

A massive 1000 page book on every type of cake you could imagine, where they came from,  how old the recipes are and the cultural significance behind each one. You just knew L would memorise the whole thing and make it his life goal to try every cake in the book.

Even though your parents had only known L a few months, they still got him something for his birthday. They found it while browsing online and knew it would be a perfect joke gift after a conversation they'd had with L about being an anonymous detective.

A 'documentary' DVD, from a series of episodes about conspiracy theories. This episode? The conspiracy of L. Who is the anonymous detective? Secret government organisation or super human genius?

L got a good laugh out of that, he didn't even know people were making whole 'documentaries' about him. He could just tell from the description on the back this documentary would be full of dumb conspiracies about him to laugh at. He'd definitely be watching it next movie night.

And you, you knew you wanted to get him something special for his first birthday as a boyfriend. But you weren't sure what at first, L seemingly had everything with his status as worlds greatest detective, but you couldn't just not get him anything. So after months of thinking about it, you found the perfect gift for him.

All the way back when you first got together, on that letter he wrote you, he drew a heart locket among all the other doodles he decorated the page with. So you went out and had one made that resembled the drawing, and inside was a small version of the letter and a picture of the two of you. He didn't have much jewellery, but when he saw your gift he knew he'd be wearing that locket every day for the rest of his life. He was now a jewellery person, as long as you were the one that gave it to him. It was special that way, and you just had an eye for nice jewellery in general.

Birthday festivities over, it was time to head out to trick or treat with Rosie. The streets had started to become loud with kids running around door to door and parents watching them as they did.

"Ready to go Ro-Ro?" You asked.

She jumped up and down excitedly, already rushing to the door with her bag in hand.

"I'll take that as a yes"

The five of your headed out, the streets already full of trick or treaters, Halloween decorations being turned on and lighting up in the dark and music from houses and the slowly growing crowd at the park drifting in the air.

Your dads were always really good with kids, that's why you turned out so helpful and fun, they raised you well. And Rosie had warmed up to them really fast, each house you stopped at she'd either drag you or one of your dads up to the door with her. She knew L wouldn't be able to talk to a stranger, so she let him stand back and watch and then came back to show him what she got.

You and L watched her take hold of your parents hands and pull them to the next house, already treating them like her real grandparents. Trailing behind slightly, you took L's hands in yours.

"Hey" he spoke up now no one was close enough to hear him.

"Yeah?" You replied.

"Thank you for everything, tonight has been fun. And I expect it to get better"

"You're part of the family now, boyfriend. All the strange traditions and chaos involve you now"

"It still feels kind of surreal to be called a family. Even though I have been one with dad and the boys for a while now... maybe it's just my inner orphan still shocked to think I have a proper family" he explained.

"That inner child of yours his healing. Everyone deserves to have a family"

Standing at the end of a driveway watching Rosie get cooed over by one of the neighbours for how cute she was as she received her lollies, you couldn't help but think about how if you and L hadn't been there when you were, she might not have ever been able to experience this. Trick or treating, dressing up, being part of a family again.

"You know L, you taking in Rosie so quickly always made me feel really secure. Knowing you were the kind of person willing to step in and be the support for someone who needs it told me you'd be there for me if something ever happened to me" you admitted.

L looked over at you, a flattered smile on his face.

"That's the exact reason why I picked you to be my investigation partner. You've shown you aren't a hostile person by taking exclusively hate crime and discrimination cases. You're actively standing up for and protect those who need it most, I knew if I picked you, the fact I couldn't talk wouldn't have been a problem. You wouldn't have shunned me for it" L explained.

"I don't need words to tell you I care for you, actions can do that for me"

"I don't need words to tell you I love you, actions can do that for me"

Giving him a smile, you leaned in to plant a kiss on his lips. He had the same idea, and you met in the middle sharing a gentle kiss that you'd grown to love reviving over the course of the relationship. No one's kisses compared to L's.

Rosie excitedly ran over to you, both your dads behind her looking extremely exited and very proud.

"Tell (y/n) and L Rosie, go on!" Your father said.

You both exchanged a confused glance, had something happen?

"I-I said trick or treat to a stranger!" Rosie spoke. That's right, she spoke.

L immediately lit up, reaching down and picking her up for a hug. Spinning her around and excitedly laughing in joy.

"Well done Rosie! I'm so proud of you!" He replied.

You'd dads haven't heard L or Rosie talk that much at all, which they expected with their mutism. But their excitement to hear them both talk to each other was practically bursting from them as they grinned ear to ear.

"Look at you go Rosie! You'll be giving speeches soon!" You praised.

She reached for a hug, and pulled you into a group hug with L. You both squeezed her in a proud hug, giving each other triumphant looks.

"She learns fast" L smiled.

"She takes after you" you replied.

THE END.