Chapter 46 | learning

A/n: fun fact: in primary school I was friends with someone who knew sign language because they had a deaf family member. She told me that people who use sign language often make up certain gestures to refer to specific people (like making up a sign for their name). Mine was a gesture referring to my gap teeth because I was the only one in the friend group that had gap teeth. So based on that little bit of sign language info, imma put it in the story.

Having gone to bed early last night for the first time in a while, you found yourself waking up to the school bell in the left wing of the orphanage instead of sleeping through it. Stirring awake, you moved your hand beside you and felt the soft rise and fall of L's chest conforming he was still there.

"You do that every morning" he said, half asleep.

"Just making sure you're alive" you replied with a yawn.

Stretching his limbs out, L turned to face you as your eyes adjusted to the light of the sun through the slightly open curtains.

"Good morning" he said.

"Good morning" you replied.

Having the same idea, you both leaned in for a good morning kiss and met in the middle. You pulled him against your chest for a snuggle and he gladly accepted the invite.

"Ugh we still have so many people to track down" he groaned.

"I know, at least we've taken care of those scumbag kidnappers though" you sighed.

You were both kind of tired after the massive mess that was this case, you just wanted to take a day or two off to yourselves. But justice never slept, so you were always working. A small knock on the door caught your attention, and you called for the person to come in. When the door opened you were met with none other than Rosie again.

"Rosie-Posie! Good morning" you said, sitting up.

She'd taken to like the nickname, earning a smile from it. She was still in her pyjamas, she didn't start classes until next week so she could sleep in a bit later than the other kids at the moment. Carrying her book and a marker she wandered over to you and reached up to be given permission to sit on the bed with you. You lifted her up and sat her between you and L who was still half asleep.

"L get up, we have visitors" you nudged him.

"Mmm..." L groaned, not wanting to get up.

But he did, sitting up and taking a second to fully wake up.

"So lazy" you joked, making Rosie giggle.

You didn't hear her voice often for obvious reasons, so you were always glad to hear her laugh or squeal in excitement, that way you knew she was happy.

L signed her a good morning, and she signed it back and handed him her book. She'd already written a message for him.

Can we make names today?

Taking the marker off her to write back, L replied.

Ok, got any ideas?

L mentioned this the other day, that usually people have particular signs assigned to them as a way of saying their name in sign language. You asked L what yours was and he showed you that ever since he met you, he'd used tapping on his chest for you. In reference to a heart beat since you were the object of his affection. You found that rather cute.

Rosie took the marker back and scribbled down a response to L.

You can teach me the sings you already have, and any you don't have I can make up. That way we won't get confused.