Chapter 39 | steak out

While L practically burned his retinas starring at the computer screens watching your last eat suspect go about their day, you were taking that phone call you promised your dads. You knew L was listening in, even if it didn't seem like it, not that it bothered you though.

"Hard to say, we just got the information about this guy so it might take a little longer. But I can definitely come home to visit for the end of the year. Wouldn't wanna miss Halloween and Christmas with you two" you said.

"Good, you cannot miss our end of year shenanigans it's family tradition" dad replied.

"Although... L's birthday is on Halloween. Maybe I can bring him with me and we can mix our annual Halloween shenanigans with his birthday party"

L looked up at you hearing you mention that. While he was pretty glad to know you wanted to give him a birthday celebration, the thought of meeting your parents in person was scary. Even though he knew they were nice, meeting your beloveds parents is always scary.

"No fucking way, he's a Halloween baby? That's sick, tell him that's sick" dad said.

You snickered, putting the phone down a bit.

"Dad says your birthdate is sick" you said.

L snickered and gave you a thumbs up as a thanks, which you passed on to your dad.

"Well when you're done with the case you definitely should bring him back with you. We gotta meet him, and we can definitely add his birthday to Halloween" dad said.

"Sounds good, I'm not sure when the case will end but surely it'll be before the end of the year. I mean we got cameras in the guys house now so we're collecting evidence. Oh and that reminds me, has father printed out all those photos I sent him like he said he would?" You asked

"Oh yeah, he did pretty much the second he got them. You know him and his photo albums, there's not a single event in our families lives that hasn't be photographed and put in those albums"

"Ugh, and every time someone mentions it he whips out my damn baby photos"

"Yeah don't let L mention photos to him or your boyfriend is gonna see all your embarrassing moments. Including the absolute MESS you were on your 3rd birthday" dad laughed.

"In my defence it was a damn good cake" you replied.

L looked over again hearing the word cake, like when a dog hears the treat packet move.

"A damn good cake that somehow ended up in your hair, clothes and shoes" dad snickered.

"Hey I was three, cut me some slack"

Listening to you talk to your parents was interesting to L. Even though you were both orphans you had very different childhoods. Yours was rather normal while his was a roller coaster. He found it interesting to hear the differences and made him wonder how he'd have turned out if he was in your shoes.

What if he was adopted as a baby, with two mums and lived a regular life? Would he still be a detective? Would he still be mute? Would he still have all his quirks? While he'd never trade Watari and the successors for the world, it was interesting to think about how things could have been different.

"Also tell father that I'll send him some England photos later this week. They've got some real nice buildings old here, all fancy and gothic" you added.

"Oh he'll like that. Always one for nice architecture" dad replied.

"I mean a pretty old building looks ten times better then those modern skyscrapers that are basically just a block"