Chapter 43 | like orphan like mentor

You watched Rosie from the corner of the doorframe, she was occupying herself in one of the playrooms with those toys that have the beads on the wire. She seemed rather entertained by it, not too bothered about her new and different surroundings.

She hadn't met the rest of the kids yet, after you bought her back there was still police work and such to be done regarding her case. All day until now she'd been in a room with a child therapist and police officer answering questions about what happened to her. You hoped she was able to at least get the general message across so those fuckers could get the worst possible sentence. But now, you and L were going to try and get her used to her new environment.

"I'm kinda worried she won't understand..." L muttered.

"The therapist said she could understand everything the cop was telling her, so it's just talking she has a problem with. If you can learn to work with it, so can she" you replied.

Taking his arm, you pulling him into the room along with you.

"Hey Rosie-Posie, having fun?" You asked.

She looked up from her toy, where she'd been organising all the beads by colour. She nodded and quickly noticed L who she still didn't really know. She remembered him from the car ride, but didn't know anything about him.

"That's good, but I want you to meet someone" you said, sitting opposite her.

The table she sat at was kid sized. So while she was on a stool, you and L just sat on the floor since you'd both barely even get your legs under that table. She seemed a little nervous, but intrigued nonetheless.

"This is L, he's the one that's been leading your case. And he's my boyfriend but that's beside the point-" you began.

L gave her a slight smile, and she tilted his head at him and the strange way he sat.

"And I think you'd get along well with him, because well... he can't talk either"

She lit up, immediately even more intrigued to hear that there were grown ups like her. Let alone one she could meet and interact with. L picked up one of the markers from the pen cup on the table, and began to write on a notebook. Hopefully she could read ok, she seemed to be at a regular level for her age. Sliding the notebook over to her, she read L's message.

I've never been able to talk, ever since I was your age. I can only talk to people I really really trust, like my dad or (y/n). But no one else. It's called being mute, how long have you been mute?

She picked up a different marker, taking a moment to pick a nice colour and began to write back. Her handwriting was actually alright for a 6 year old. Although she did get a few letters backwards here and there.

I stopped talking when mummy and daddy got hurt. I can't do it anymore, I got so scared that I stopped and every time I try again it gets stuck in my throat and I cry.

Sounded like she had the same kind of trauma response as L. Seeing your own parents die and then getting kidnapped and THEN being abused for weeks straight was bound to make her end up with long term effects. Mutism seemed to be one of them. You watched eagerly as the two exchanged messages, the interaction going well. You really hoped this would benefit her. L slid the book back over to her to read his response.

That's what happens to me too. After a very long time of being close with someone you can learn to talk again, it just takes a while. One day you'll be able to talk to someone again, but until then it's good to have a notebook to write in, and learn sign language.

She seemed calmer already, her tension about a new person leaving her. The therapist did tell you she seemed to be a but scared of men, unsurprising after what happened to her. But she definitely quickly understood L was safe. He did have a bit of a girly side to him anyway, so that probably helped. This time she picked a pink marker, to spice things up a little.

Can you teach me sign language?

L smiled reading that, he was hoping he'd be able to help her in some way.

I can. As soon as you've settled in I can make a class for you. I got you some notebooks to use in the meantime though.

Along with sliding the book back over the table, he gave her three new notebooks to use for herself. He wasn't sure what kind of notebooks little kids liked, so he went with the safe option and got ones with sticker sheets in them so she could decorate them herself. She seemed exited, like she was getting a present.

Thank you. How long did it take you to talk again?

She was clearly interested in trying to heal. It would be pretty scary to suddenly have your ability to talk shut off out of nowhere, so you weren't surprised she wanted to be back to 'normal'.

A year, I was able to talk to my dad after I was here for a year. But it does get easier when you get older and closer with people.

She gave a slight grumpy pout seeing it would take that long, but she was well aware she can't push herself or she'd end up crying again. She'd had enough crying at the moment.

How do I make friends when I can't talk to them?

L paused a moment, tapping the pen on the paper trying to think. He didn't exactly have friends as a kid, so he wasn't sure how to answer this one.

"Mello, Matt, Near. Probably Linda too" you mentioned.

Of course! Rosie had an advantage thanks to the other kids already knowing and learning from L.

I teach some kids that know how to talk to mute people, because they've talked to me. I can introduce them to you, they're all nice and understand.

She smiled again, kicking her legs happily as she wrote her response. It was great to see her smiling after what you'd witnessed her go through. When you grabbed her from the closet she was petrified and upset, it was a breath of fresh air to see her smile.

Yes please! I want to make friends!

Ah, your heart. You hoped she'd settle in here well and make friends with all the kids.

We'll all be your friends. And I'll teach you how to deal with being mute ok? If anything ever happens you come find me, or if you can't find me, find (y/n). We'll help you.

She had one other question to ask, which she scribbled down in purple this time.

What's thank you in sign language?

When L read it, he put down the pen to demonstrate. Putting his hand under his lips by his chin and bringing it forward. Similar to blowing a kiss but lower. She copied it, hoping she got it right. L nodded in approval, telling her she was right and watched her smile again.

She turned to you, signing it at you as well.

"Hey good job, you'll learn fast" you smiled.

She got up and climbed over to the small table to your side and gave you a hug, which you happily returned.

"You'll be alright here ok?" You assured.

She nodded, she seemed a little nervous still about the whole situation, but optimistic nonetheless. Turning to L, she signed him another thank you and reached out for a hug.

Usually it takes a long time for L to be comfortable hugging someone. But this time, it was different. He knew she needed it, and felt a need to help her get through everything. So, he happily returned that hug. You found it amusing how L always insisted he wasn't a parent and yet he had three successors treating him like a dad, and was clearly getting that father instinct for Rosie here.

"Look at you, being all parental" you joked.

L just have you a playful glare. For once, he wouldn't deny it.