Chapter 24: Ariella

Start from the beginning

I blinked at the text, unsure of what to think. The idea that there were written Vows for people to make was almost unbelievable. And what did it mean by 'so the world will remain in balance?'

Flipping through the pages and skimming through the words, I had realized that there were slight differences between the two Vows. Both of them talked about serving the community and doing their best to provide their help, but they would help with different things. The Medical Vow swears to take care of all who seek help, that they would deny no one while the Fighter Vow was promising to protect anyone who needed it.

It was different, very different, but I loved it. The more that I read, the more excited I got. It built up inside of me, something that I wasn't sure what to make of it.

Everyone claimed that it was a good thing that I could Heal, but it was words. This book though, something for many people to read, said that the ability of fighting was just as important as Healing.

Brushing the corner of the book that Robert had given me with my fingers, I swore that I would try to learn about my Power and how to use it. Gathering the books in my arms and grabbing the candle next to me, I tiptoed down the hall and into my room. I'd start tomorrow. Even though my family was busy, I would try to do this. Try to make them happy. And try to accept myself for who I am.

Tucking the books on the corner of the night table, I hurried to get ready for bed and climbing in. I left the candle beside me, on the table, next to the books, watching as the flame flickered, giving the light to the darkness. A few moments passed and, finally, I leaned forward and blew out the candle.

****************************************************************************************

A fire crackled a few feet away from me, lit ashes sprayed the sky, as the flames shot towards the heavens. The warmth of the fire seeped through my dress and soothed my frozen limbs. A part of me wanted to stay near the fire, but something told me that I should leave.

My eyes studied the area around me, the frost bit tents, the empty spaces between, and the pack mules grazing across the way. I froze, the warmth of the fire couldn't warm me up.

I was there. Again.

I swallowed nervously as I backed away from the fire. Away from getting caught. This was like that time, two years ago. It was an accident, I was caught at the wrong time. I couldn't let this happen again.

"You!" A shrill voice shouted through the night and I tensed.

I was caught.

The troupe leader rushed towards me, her cold eyes bore down into mine. "What do you think you're doing near the fire?"

"I-I was just passing through..." I mumbled and tensed as her hand wrapped around my throat, squeezing it slightly.

"You are not allowed near the fire." She shouted, her grip tightening more.

"P-please-" I gasped from breath that wouldn't come, her grip was to tight. Her eyes softened slightly as she stared at me, almost lovingly, and then they hardened once again.

"You deserve no mercy for what you have done." She whispered into my ear before shoving me backwards.

I lost my footing, my hair flew above me, the strands waving in the wind as I fell in the fire, the flames eagerly eating at my skin.

************************************************************************************************

"Ariella!"

My eyes flew open and looked into my mother's worried gaze, her blue eyes wavering slightly and her hand gently caressing my shoulder. "Mother."

"I'm here." She reassured, her arms slipping around me, pulling me close. "Are you well, my dear?"

"I'm fine." I told her.

"You're not." She smiled softly and hugged me again. "You were having a nightmare. You were screaming."

"I-I'm sorry." I whispered. "D-did I wake you?"

"We were up."

"We?"

"Your father and siblings are outside in the living room, we heard you and I came in to check on you." She flattened my hair, her hand pausing slightly at my cheek. "Do you want to talk about it?"

"Not really." I muttered. Pushing myself up, I looked around. A candle was near the one that I had left last night, on top of the books, a pillow and Pan laid across the room, and the door stood open with Father standing at the doorway.

"Are you alright?" He asked.

"I am." I smiled softly and rubbed my eyes, trying to rub away the exhaustion.

"It's still early, my dear. You should go back to sleep." Mother patted my cheek softly with a smile and I shrugged.

"Can I just stay up until you leave?" I asked.

"We have to leave soon, my dear." Father sighed as he walked over to me and sat on the other side of the bed. "I tell you what, if you feel up to it, you can make yourself some lunch and visit us at work, alright? I'll make sure we have time to spend with you."

"What about your lunch?"

"We'll be fine." Mother promised as she leaned forward and kissed my forehead. "Just get some more sleep, alright? We'll see you later."

"Very well." I smiled softly as they both gave me a hug and walked out. My head fell back on the pillow and I sighed.

Why do the memories keep coming? Why do I keep going back there? Is this my punishment? Is this what happens when one uses their Power without permission? Or is this because I want to use my Power after years of bot using it?

What was happening to me?