Chapter 46: Helping the Broken

Start from the beginning

"Ash? Are you in there? I brought some food for us to eat."

She got no response. She sighed. 'He's been like this ever since we got here...I don't know what I can do to help...' She gently set the food down on a fold out tray next to his door. "Well, I'll leave it out here for you if you want it."

She left and decided to visit her partner. She entered the room, and saw Delphox sitting right next to a still sleeping Greninja. Her left arm was in a fire resistant cast being held in a sling. She looked up and Serena could tell she hadn't been sleeping. Bags were under her eyes, said eyes looked dull and lifeless. Her facial expression was so vacant, it looked like she had never shown any emotion in her life.

"Oh...hey Serena..." was all she said.

Due to their new Aura, Ash and Serena were now able to understand what Pokémon were saying out loud.

Serena went over to her partner/sister and sat down next to her.

"Delphox...you need to get some sleep" Serena said with worry.

"I can't...I...I just...can't...anymore..." she said almost whispering.

"He'll be alright Delphox. The doctors said he is still stable" Serena assured her.

"But what if they're wrong...what if he..."

"That's not going to happen. I promise" Serena said.

Delphox turned to her. "Don't...make a promise...you can't keep..."

"Delphox..."

Delphox turned her head back towards her sleeping mate.

'I should've helped you more...you got so messed up...because I was so useless...'

"Delphox, don't blame yourself for this, it isn't your—"

"Of course it is!!"

Serena jumped at Delphox's sudden shout.

"If I hadn't been so damn weak he wouldn't be in this state!! I'm nothing but a burden! I'm...I'm...I'm so useless!!!" She yelled as she finally broke down crying.

She suddenly felt Serena's arms wrapped around her. She looked and saw Serena crying.

"S-Serena...?"

"...H-How could you say that...? You're strong Delphox, very strong! If you weren't, you wouldn't be here now." Serena tightened her grip. "I...I thought I was going to lose you...I was so terrified...I...I-I...I thought I was going to lose my best friend!! You're someone I can't bare to lose! If you had died...I would never be able to perform ever again. What's the point of doing something you love if you can't do it with someone you love?? Without you Delphox I..." she couldn't finish, as her tears could no longer be contained.

Delphox's heart shattered at her partner's words. She too started to cry. She had felt the same way. If she found out Serena had died, she wouldn't be able to bare it. She would become rageful and bitter, before considering to just end it all. Delphox shifted herself to face Serena. She engulfed her into the biggest hug she could give.

Ash was sitting on his bed, staring out the window. As expected, he didn't achieve sleep from last night. He said nothing, thought nothing, and did nothing. He was basically furniture at this point. He suddenly heard a knock on his door. He said nothing, hoping whoever it was would leave him alone.

"Ash? Are you in there?"

Ash recognized the voice as Jake's.

"I won't try to force you to open up, I just want to tell you something." There was a momentary silence, until Jake spoke again. "Thank you..."