Forty Eight - Whisper

Like a string that keeps me from losing my way, my heart and my mind united to go after him. I decided to ride Spitfire. The heaviness in my heart vanished when I found Mikey at our usual spot, staring impassively at the scenery.

So he's just here. I finally calmed down.

Discreetly, I walked my steps and sat down beside him. I stole one glance. Mikey's expression lightened a little. I then turned my head and gazed at the view we never get tired of staring at.

The way his eyes lingered reminded me of the first times we met—when I saw myself in him.

Sometimes, I really wonder what Mikey's thinking. He always seems to be... out of this world... when he thinks like this. Sometimes, he'd even look... different.

I startled when Mikey's fingers slightly pulled the hem of my clothes

I startled when Mikey's fingers slightly pulled the hem of my clothes. His eyes were on his hand then slowly rose up to my eyes. Gentle yet... sad.

I returned him a reassuring smile and moved closer to him until our bodies touched. My head rested on his shoulder. His hand made way to meet mine and I let my breaths match with his until he relaxes.

It's just heartbreaking that the reality we're facing today is unfortunately cannot be solved by money. So even if I use the money that I never wanted to use, it wouldn't really be of help.

Things kept getting so entangled. It's tiring.

Everyone's exhausted. Everything's exhausting.

"Mikey."

"Hm?"

My fingers played with his, hesitating. "I... met with Izana."

He didn't budge. I cleared my throat and composed myself.

"We just, you know, talked, but... he..."

"...wanted to take you too," he finished the sentence for me.

I slowly nodded.

"He wants to take you away from me."

I nodded again.

Mikey sighed and asked, "Do you want to?"

My eyes widened a fraction. My shoulders dropped down as I shook my head. Mikey released a quiet snort and smiled. His smile was comforting yet again... sad.

"That's enough," Mikey said. I forgot to breathe. "Don't pressure yourself to make the right choice."

My lips parted and then closed again.

He really knows me. Mikey knows me. All my life, I wanted to be understood. I wanted to be comforted that everything's okay, that... I'm okay, despite my shortcomings.

I wanted to be accepted for who I am in spite of my imperfections.

And I longed for peace—for the both of us, for all of us who are weary.