| Chapter Sixteen |

Start from the beginning

They shared a silent breath, his eyes holding hers now in a quiet confession Iliya couldn't decipher.

"Not now," he murmured into her head. "Later."

She nodded, understanding.

The Prince disappeared, nothing resembling the rage in his eyes, just a silent click of the door.

"What was that?" Jeremy asked.

Iliya didn't know what to say. She didn't need to explain that Sorein hated being angry, she was certain they'd know that. Let alone being pressed about things when he needed space.

She frowned in response.

"You nodded as if he spoke, but nothing was said."

"Oh," she hummed. She clasped her fingers behind her, massaging her thumb. Without Sorein here, she had no idea what he'd mind.

Iliya took a steadying breath, flashes of the Cihneon flooding her mind. The Tower of Memories. A lengthy spiral of mirrors and glass swept through obsidian-carved halls to three different ceremonial platforms. Each of their own importance, their own purpose.

On the inferior most level, those that wish to may forge vows.

Wordlessly, Iliya lifted her hand, twirling tiny golden strands around in her palm. "My Raesa is unique," she answered quietly. "I can see the ties that bind us all... It is one thing to be hated on this island, in this world, but to feel it..."

Jeremy frowned, taking a few steps closer. He opened his mouth to reply but Iliya shook her head and dropped the chords.

"He and I swore an Erietii," she said. When the puzzled look on Noah's face grew, Iliya amended her statement, translating. "A blood bond, a vow of loyalty."

Such a simple, yet complex response. One word to encapsulate the truth behind tethering a piece of soul to another's. An Erietii could offer a world of gifts, including a channel between two minds.

The connection was the ultimate empathy.

"The law states crowned royalty cannot swear blood oaths," Jeremy managed to say, stammering.

"He is not King, nor am I Queen," Iliya replied, her eyes narrowing. "Nor will I ever be."

Not by choice...

"What did Sorein do?" Noah asked. He walked down the landing and around the billiards table, coming to face her. "What could he have done to make you hate him?"

Her smile faltered and she took a step away. "I wish I hated him," Iliya murmured. "If only I did."

"That's not an answer," Jeremy said.

"He told my entire Court that I have no intention of claiming my immortality. Told my mother I wished for death, even. Sorein used the mind link our Erietii provides to reveal my most personal thoughts to my entire family," she snapped, the heat of anger rising in her chest. Those feelings she'd shoved down deep for so long boiled to the surface again. "He ruined everything, including their trust in me. The only friend I truly trusted betrayed me and left my life in shambles..."

Noah shook his head. "He cares for you, Iliya."

"You think I don't know that?" She said, sighing.

Jeremy raked a hand through his dark hair, walking over to brace his hands on the giant game table. "None of this is right..." he muttered.

"Tell me that again when you have no allies," Iliya ground out, fighting clenched teeth. "When your people despise you for a life you didn't create."

"I wouldn't know what that's like," Jeremy amended. "It wasn't right for him to expose those truths without even talking to you first. But how long do you plan to punish him for it? You can't sever an Erietii."

She knew that all too well.

Iliya never lost sight of the permanence, of their tethers.

For some reason, the word punished baffled her. Iliya laughed, forcing herself to remain composed. "Punish him? He made me go to the Ceremony, I haven't even mentioned anything until last night."

"What happened anyway?" Noah asked.

"What do you mean?"

"When you froze?" he said, face contorting. "When Ezre came for you?"

Willing her face to remain neutral, Iliya blinked. "I'm sorry, I don't know what you're talking about," she lied.

Don't concentrate so hard, loosen your jaw, relax your face...

Ezre had spoken those words to her time and again, teaching her to lie with honesty and questions.

Despite herself, Iliya felt her hands clamp around the obsidian rings locking around her fingers. The stone was cold, dormant. Powerful.

"Did something happen?" she countered, eyes growing wider.

Jeremy looked from her to Noah, his expression wary. "No," he said, shooting Noah a glare. "No, I think you were just tired from the Ceremony."

Iliya nodded, sighing.

Close. Too close.

She could tell even Jeremy didn't entirely buy it.

"I've got to find Rhydian," she murmured, excusing herself. "Dinner will be ready soon."

Iliya watched the Captain nod to her, understanding the dismissal and turned on her heel. As she neared the door, a nagging sensation tugged in her gut. Pulling the door open, she stepped out of the room and paused.

She peeked back over her shoulder, eyes softening. "Don't worry about Sorein," she said. "I'll take care of it."

There were only a few places in this estate where one might hide.

She exited quickly, wondering if she'd ever felt a door close so hard in her chest.