Ch. 38

The Lost Dixon

Ch. 38- Officer Reece Dixon, Reporting for Duty

Reece's Point of View:

I stood in the large mirror, checking out the attire I had for the constable role. I simply had on a cops jacket and a cops coat. My pants are simple black jeans and I wore the black knee high boots. I inhaled deeply, wondering if this is something I can do or not. It felt weird. I was never cop. I don't know the first thing being a cop. Rick does. How do I know whatever I think was right, isn't and I just get myself, it not all of us in trouble?

I hear footsteps approaching and I turn my head to the doorway. I find Rick stepping up and he takes a look at my attire.

"I don't know if this is some kind of play, handing authority to strangers." I scoff.

"The authority to break up fistfights." I nod.

"If it was just that, she should've given one of these to Daryl." He says. I shrug at him.

"I don't know if it's for us or for them." I sigh out. "Or maybe Deanna's trying to get rid of us and them. You put these jackets on me and you, have the people see it. If thats the play, that'd be smart. And she seems smart." Rick's eyes fall to the floor.

"Smart for then or smart for now?" He asks.

"This is now." I answer.

Rick and I exit out of the house and make our way to Deanna's place. She sent out the uniform to try on for size. Well, they fit. But she wanted to have a meeting with us. She wants to go over our roles as the constables of Alexandria. Maggie is Deanna's new right-hand man...woman. Maggie's like her little...congress person or something. She'll help Deanna lead this place, give ideas, make new rules or plan things. I don't know.

"You protect and serve. You patrol, walk the wall, watch out for the kids. If there's a conflict, you solve it. And people will listen to you." Deanna says.

"Because we're wearing windbreakers?" I snort.

"Because they believe in this." She corrects. "Because I'm telling them to. A police officer used to live here. So we has these jackets and I wanted to make it official. So it's official. There's gonna be a government here one day. That's why I want Maggie working with me. There's gonna be a police force. That's why I want yo two to start it. I see a vibrant community here with industry, commerce, civilization. Real lives. It might be horses and mills, but-what?" She stops and looks at Rick. "Does that sound like pie in the sky?" She asks him. I lift my brows up at her words and the sternest in her voice. She's one of those people that expects you to look them in the eyes while they speak. I'm not against direct eye contact. I think that it's good people can do that. Me? No way. I hate eye contact. It makes me uncomfortable. Weird. Unsteady. My mind might wonder off a bit and I'll completely ignore you, but hey, that's just me.

"No." Maggie says. Deanna turns to me.

"No." I answer, looking down. She lifts her head up and looks at Rick with a smile.

"No." He answers. "Can we talk security?" He asks. We all gather ourselves and walk outside. We make our way to the wall, Rick speaking his ideas to Deanna.

"We need a constant patrol along the walls." He says. "Not just looking for damage, but signs that anyone climbed in from outside. You can move right up the supports. That's what I'd do. People are the real threat now."

"Rick, I know you think that we should all be armed within the walls." Deanna begins. "I-I can't do that." Rick nods.

"That's fine." He says. "You make these changes, we won't need to."