Chapter 8: Lines Crossed

Jay's POV:

The last class of the day was almost at an end. I sat in my seat, staring intently at the clock hanging above the doorway for it to strike 3pm. Another long day of stuff most students will probably never need in adulthood. My phone began to vibrate in my pocket once or twice, signaling an incoming message. My chest felt tight again, as my first thought was that Nicky had texted me. The feeling faded as I reminded myself that I didn't have her number yet, nor did she have mine. Unlocking my screen, I opened my messages.

'Is your friend in need of a place to stay again Jay?

-Mommy'

The most embarrassing part of my mom sometimes is how she texts, ending all messages to me with the following 'Mommy' signature. Something that as a kid I didn't mind, but bothers me now. Aside from her question, it was something I would have to ask Nicky. The bell finally rang out, ending the insufferable school day at last. I remember asking Nicky to meet up at the place we left off at this morning, my first destination leaving this classroom.

—--------------------------------------------

Nicky's POV:

—--------- 15 Minutes After Schools End —---------

I had been standing here for a bit now, waiting for Jay to meet up with me as she had said. Though, I haven't seen her anywhere so far. I know she is short but this is ridiculous. I laughed to myself in light of the joke I made inside my mind, deciding to search around a bit in case she had forgotten or something. I made my way around campus in a few larger places where people seem to collect, but no sign of her. The last place to check was the parking lot, making my way out there all I could hear was the sound of yelling coming from nearby.

"Fuck You!" yelled the familiar voice of Jay.

Having found the source of the argument, I found Jay along with it. The person fighting with her was someone I didn't recognize. A boy, most likely a freshman. Standing taller than Jay with dark brown hair with a buzzcut, his clothing style screamed 'I'm an asswipe'.

"You fucking whore! How dare you! Do you know who I am?" he continued, putting his hands too close for comfort in Jay's face.

"I don't care! I said no!" yelled Jay.

"What are you huh? You a fag? Fuckin' midget lookin bitch! I'll kick your ass!" he threatened her, pushing her against the nearby small cement wall that sectioned off the parking lot from the walkway.

That is a very thin line crossed in my opinion, something I now require myself to get involved in. If I get suspended then so be it. Pushing through the people who now stood around to watch as the fight unfolded, I made my introduction very clear. His sight left her, watching as within just a moment's notice I made my intentions clear. Gifting him a right hook, he hit the ground.

"THE FUCK YOU THINK YOU"RE DOING" I yelled at him.

Stunned, he stayed on the ground holding the side of his face. This kid was taller than Jay, but not taller than me.

"GET THE FUCK OUTTA HERE! I DON'T WANNA SEE YOU NEAR HERE AGAIN YOU UNDERSTAND THAT DICKSHIT?" I finished.

No words came from him as he turned tail and ran, probably not having expected to get slapped silly in one hit. The people watching soon went about their business, leaving me with a rather worked up Jay.

"Why did you do that?" she asked.

"Do I need a reason?" I replied, still rather upset in tone.

"Well, no. It just had nothing to do with you is all. You didn't need to risk yourself like that" she said.

"Risky myself? He threatened you! That shit doesn't fly with me" I told her.

She grew silent, my anger most likely wasn't helping. I focused on calming down to finish talking with her.

"What was all that about anyways?" I questioned her.

She looked caught off guard, almost like she wasn't all that sure how something spiraled out of control like it did.

"He asked me out, saying he had liked me since middle school" she started.

"And?"

"And I said no" she finished.

"Well, pretty immature for him to respond like that over rejection. Kid's got some serious self image issues just based on that. But, why did you say no?" I asked, prying just a bit into her reasoning.

"I don't know. I don't like him? I hardly know him. Plus it wouldn't matter who asked me out, I like someone el-" she cut herself off.

I felt like overstepping this boundary in personal feelings, but leaving it alone was probably my best bet. At least now I know she likes someone, I just hope my suspicions are right.

"Well, let's forget about that jerk, yeah? Wanna continue the plans we made this morning?" I suggested, hoping to cheer her up a bit.

"Yeah, I'd like that" she said, smiling at me as we started to walk.