fourty eight

Luke.

Over the next few months, everything was perfect.

I brought Noah to court for abandonment of a minor, where he was forced to pay several fines and then give up his custodial rights over her, which were given to me.

Austin was quickly healing and declared- cancer free.

Montana was towards the end of her stem cell transplant and taking it amazing.

Her and Austin were inseparable, and everyone loved it.

They had lived through hell together, no one was separating that at this point.

I watched as Austin fed her grapes, the two of them watching a movie.

I walked in, seeing her light up

"Where's Calum?" She asked, now used to Calum being with me because he was moved from night shift, back to his original day shift.

"He's with a patient." I told her, reading over her charts before smiling.

Everything was perfect.

"Well- you two." I spoke, looking to them- both of them staring to me.

"I believe we have a bell that the two of you need to ring." I spoke.

"Wait- are you serious?" Austin spoke firmly, excitement laced into his voice.

I nodded

"She has full immunity and no cancerous cells. You have perfectly functioning lungs and no sign of cancer whatsoever." I told them, seeing them look to each other.

"Let's go ring that fucking bell"

You'd swear they were five year olds, running through the hospital in pure giggle fits, speaking to everyone, making them follow us to the bell- needing a crowd to see this accomplishment.

Austin went first.

Harry spoke a long speech about their journey together.
A few nurses stepped in to tell stories as well.

And then Austin spoke

"I think we all thought I was going to die, several times" he laughed, earning laughter from others as well

"And I think that everyone that walks through these doors as a patient never imagines that they will get to this day, shit I know I didn't" he continued
"And the days that I did imagine it happening- I imagined an angry speech about how fucked up cancer is and how fucked up the treatment is and how I didn't deserve any of it." He cleared his throat.

"And don't get me wrong, cancer is fucked up and the treatment sucks, but I don't think anyone deserves it. But I do have to say, if I absolutely had to have it- im glad that I came to this hospital. Im thankful for my team of doctors, who wouldn't give up on me, even when I had already given up, im thankful for my mom, who never left me for a second throughout all of this. And lastly, im thankful for my girlfriend, who definitely didn't like me at first, but yet gave me even more of a reason to fight and get over this." He spoke, everyone smiling as he did.

"So yeah- thank you to everyone listening to this, because you all shaped my stay here in some sort of way."

Everyone clapped for him.

Then came Montana.

So I had to make the first speech.

I held her shoulders, exhaling

"Don't make me cry" she laughed, making me laugh
"I'm trying to not make myself cry." I spoke back to her.

"When I first took on Montana as a patient, I knew I had my work cut out for me." I spoke, making her laugh.

"Her and I had several days where we didn't get along, where she didn't even want me around her, but now I'm her legal guardian, so I guess that didn't work out for her" I laughed, making everyone else laugh as well.

"She is one of the bravest young women that I've ever seen step foot in this building. She has been through hell her entire life, but yet she continues to beat the odds and grow more and more successful," I continued

"I can't wait to watch her grow up even more and to give her a family that will always love her. I know she's going to have a very successful future, and I am very proud to be able to watch every second of it."

She hugged me as soon as I was finished.

Harry, Calum, Ashton and Michael each said a few words before it was her turn.

"I'll be short with it, but basically I came in here hating everyone" she laughed

"I would have rather just died than even try to fight, but now that I'm here- I am so thankful for the people that helped me and pushed me to this point." She squeezed my hand as she spoke.

"So yeah- a big thank you to each one of my doctors, who got me to this point and to my boyfriend, who supported me and helped me laugh through God knows how many chemo treatments." She laughed out.

"Okay you two" Harry spoke making them both move to the bell

"Ring it whenever you're ready"

I took my phone out, videoing the moment as they grabbed the string together

And then they rang it, everyone cheering and hugging them tightly, taking several pictures.

Montana came to me, allowing me to pull her into the tightest hug

"Thank you for never giving up on me." She spoke into my chest, making me kiss her head

"Let's go home, tana"